Urban Gypsy Boho Bag

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since I cannot make soap or anything for that matter I am working on crocheting this purse for my Granddaughter whom is 9 today. I have been at my parents caring for them since the 22nd of last month and my sis is not coming back until the second week of next month. Trust me all, I am pretty burnt out and getting quite cranky. This 24 hr care is taking it's toll. Sorry did not mean to complain.
This is a cute purse and reminds me of my macrame hippy purses I made when I was young. Wow, that was a long time ago...
https://makeanddocrew.com/boho-bag-free-crochet-pattern/

That is so cute!

Caregivers burn out. It is a proven fact, and I have seen it a lot over the years. What you are feeling is perfectly normal. You are doing well handling a long stretch of unrelieved care. And you are smart to have a hobby you can do that gives you a sense of satisfaction that you have accomplished something. Take time for Carolyn every day. Even if it is just a few minutes.

Thankyou Susie, and I really need to quit complaining. After-all I am lucky to have my parents this long, my real Dad died at 51 of a massive heart attack. Guess I am just in one of those moods this week. It is really a cute purse, but I am not making it with ecru cotton, I am making her a pink one and and a multi purple/pink one. Sadly I have not even managed to get much crochet done, here I have time and not in the mood

I remember purses like that too! Very cute!

About your feelings, as Susie said, they are normal. And guilt inducing. Being a full time care taker is difficult. I saw it in my mom when my dad was sick, and then felt it myself when my mom was sick. And it wasn't 24 hrs a day for me since my mom was too stubborn to let me stay with her, and when she couldn't be alone was moved into a care unit. There is no doubt you are thankful to have your parents with you still, and also no doubt that caring for them is exhausting. In the end, though, you won't regret it.

Be kind to yourself. It isn't selfish to take a bit of time just for you. Even if it is just a cup of tea with your feet up somewhere quiet.

that purse is so cute, very 70's looking :) Post a picture when it's done please!

As for caregiving, Susie and Dibbles are right, it's a tough job as you well know, and feeling guilty about wanting a bit of time away is one of the hardest parts. Take some time to take care of yourself, it's not selfish, it's essential. Hugs to you

That is adorable! I taught myself to crochet on my last trip to sea and have made some hats, scarves, mitts etc.. and then just dropped it when it got hot. You inspire me to dig back in!
And hugs for you - sometimes its really really hard. Please take some time for you or you'll be no good for anyone, right?

I don't think its "complaining". My income comes from caring for children, which is very fulfilling. But I also work some overnights and weekends which is also enjoyable. However, humans by nature are mostly inwardly focused. there is something about knowing that your focus has to be outward on someone else; that your time and energy isn't your own when caregiving. Office workers get to go home and be in charge of their own territory. 24 hr caregivers don't have that freedom and it's exhausting.

Is there anything we can we do to help? Do you have movies or books you can enjoy?

Very cute design, Carolyn, and a real blast from my past!

I'm teaching myself to crochet again. I crocheted a simple scarf when I was in my early 20s, but found the work frustrating. I tried it again this summer, decades later, and maybe I've finally matured enough to "get it" now. I made a free-form tote and a simple cap and both have turned out well. So far so good!

It's relaxing and refreshing when I can get that "crochet zen" thing going on in my head, but I can put the yarn and hook down in an instant if need be, unlike soaping. I can see why crochet is a good thing for you right now. Hugs......

Carolyn, my thoughts are with you. So often I wish I could ask or share something with my Mom or Dad. This past week I have seen her face in so many people it's really unusual. Yesterday alone, while watching a few foreign language television programs, I saw her face in at least two or three different actresses. At ages ranging from when I was a young girl to when I was in my 20's and 30's. I also see my Dad's face often as well, but that's because his face is in every Mark Twain and Einstein statue or photograph everywhere.

The boho bags will be so gorgeous; I hope she loves that you made them for her as much as you love her.

Carolyn, my thoughts are with you. So often I wish I could ask or share something with my Mom or Dad. This past week I have seen her face in so many people it's really unusual. Yesterday alone, while watching a few foreign language television programs, I saw her face in at least two or three different actresses. At ages ranging from when I was a young girl to when I was in my 20's and 30's. I also see my Dad's face often as well, but that's because his face is in every Mark Twain and Einstein statue or photograph everywhere.

The boho bags will be so gorgeous; I hope she loves that you made them for her as much as you love her.
Thankyou, as hard as it gets I am priviliged they have lived to be 91, it just gets frustrating at times.

My granddaughter Autumn is a sweetheart and she still loves whatever I make her. In fact she is a good one for volunteering me to make things for her friends. Takes after her mom :). My 4yr old is not so sweet and I gave up making her anything, if it is not Disney, from the Disney store she hates it.

Autumn is a sweetheart and she still loves whatever I make her. In fact she is a good one for volunteering me to make things for her friends. Takes after her mom :)

:-D
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Back