Question RE using premade bases

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreaming79

Reaction score
I'm obviously a newbie. I've ordered several bases for scrubs. I've tweaked them by adding my own concoction of oils. My testers love the way they feel, but I'm concerned because I've far exceeded the recommended max load. I'm curious what the reprocussions would be and if I would need to add extra preservative to the formula since my tweaked recipe exceeds the recommended max load. What other concerns should I have by doing this?

Hello Dreaming79!:bunny:

Melt and pour bases are not meant to add extra oils. They are already made with wonderful oils. There are a few things you can add to MP, like calendula flowers, poppy seeds, etc.

When adding things like oils it depends a lot on the oils or extracts, and maybe 1 teaspoon per pound, no more, or you will lose the lather of the base.

Not sure what the long terms effect can be. Things that are "alive" in MP tend to always go brown. They look beautiful for a few days only. Not sure if your oils can go rancid with time? I guess it could depend on the expiration day of it.

May I ask what oils did you use? What were you trying to achieve? How much?

When using a premade base for scrubs, lotions etc. You do not want to exceed the amount listed by the company for add ins as it will affect the efficacy of the preservative if one is in the product. I've not used a lotion base and body spray base in the past and never add more than recommended.

Back