Oui Yogurt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you eat a lot of yogurt you should make it yourself. It's way, way easier than soap.

I make my own yogurt. It really is dead easy, especially if you've got a gadget with a yogurt function, though lots of people wrap up their yogurt pots and stick them in the oven just like soapers do for gelling. The biggest challenge is figuring out what to do with all the whey you wind up with. I usually wind up draining off about two quarts of whey from every gallon of yogurt I make, which leaves me with a very thick, tangy proper greek style yogurt. I also make granola and flavored syrups to mix with it.

With the whole 'overnight oats' thing that's popped up lately, I decided to give something similar a try, and mixed some granola into a bowl of my yogurt and let that sit in the fridge overnight. That worked out quite well, the oats were soft and just a tiny bit chewy and the flavor of the yogurt also mellowed so it wasn't as tart.

I make my own yogurt. It really is dead easy, especially if you've got a gadget with a yogurt function, ...
Yeah, it's about the easiest thing that almost nobody does. Heat milk to 180F, hold for 5 minutes, cool to 110F, mix in yogurt, hold at 110F overnight. Then strain if you want.

I've got an instapot now that's a complicated, computerized thing that does rice, yogurt, pressure and slow cooking. With that thing you literally just pour in cold milk and walk away, then come back in the morning to strain. But I've done it in Mason jars inside coolers, in the oven, a hot water bath with a sous vide circulator going. Even just wrapping in towels usually works.

I completely agree about the whey, too. I explored all kinds of uses for it - including soaping with it - but I mostly just throw it away now.

Bought some on sale yesterday and it is delicious. I also make my own yogurt regularly. My own is more tart but I like it both ways. The glass jars are very cute and usable. I agree they would be even more useful with a lid.

Latest posts

Back