Help! I used KOH instead of NaOH accidentally. Rebatch as liquid soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And thank you, Susie, IrishLass, BattleGnome and Zany for all your help. I was busy yesterday with some health issues, but will start the dilution process today. I appreciate all your details instructions! It should be able to help me make some nice liquid soap instead of throwing out the whole thing. Yay!

Hello all! One thing I wanted to run by you experienced soapers... what should I do with the parts that are on the top and bottom, once the LS sits? Do I just use the part in the middle? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Hello all! One thing I wanted to run by you experienced soapers... what should I do with the parts that are on the top and bottom, once the LS sits? Do I just use the part in the middle? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

It would be best if you posted this as a new thread, as you would get more replies. Maybe a mod will move it for us.

Anyway, your top, bottom, and middle should all be soap. They should all be dilutable with no problem. If you would post your entire recipe (in weights, please), and a pic, we might be able to better troubleshoot with you.

It would be best if you posted this as a new thread, as you would get more replies. Maybe a mod will move it for us.

Anyway, your top, bottom, and middle should all be soap. They should all be dilutable with no problem. If you would post your entire recipe (in weights, please), and a pic, we might be able to better troubleshoot with you.

I disagree that this should go in a new thread, it looks to be a continuation of the original issue. She gave her recipe further up, and Zany_in_CO made the suggestion that she seems to have used for the save. I do agree that pics might help with people giving advice.

Thanks for the responses. Sorry, I just saw the last two... didn't get an email that more were posted.

Yes, I'm still tinkering with this same batch. I did add a wee bit more water to my test batch and the top layer of foam seems to have dissipated almost completely. There's a layer that's a little darker and more opaque at the bottom. I'll attach a photo.

IMG_8072.jpg

I did add a wee bit more water to my test batch and the top layer of foam seems to have dissipated almost completely. There's a layer that's a little darker and more opaque at the bottom.
??? That's just a partial batch, yes? Did you weigh the paste before dilution? How much dilution water did you add? I can't tell from the picture whether this is thick or thin. Properly diluted LS is typically thin. It's not a problem either way. Just a matter of preference. Thin LS has better lather and you don't waste as much going down the drain when you wash your hands. Thin LS rinses cleaner, faster.

"Layer of foam" -- I'm wondering if you used a Stick Blender during dilution? There should be little or no foam if you did it range top on LOW and stirred gently with a spoon to break up the pieces occasionally. TIP: Keep a spray bottle of alcohol handy to spritz any foam that shows up. Works like a charm! :)
Maybe I'll try a turkey baster to take the good part. Or the bad. To separate them.
I may be too late to offer this advice, but here goes.
Many LS'ers these days don't sequester their soap, especially if using the popular glycerin LS method. Glycerin is a solvent and clarifier so it tends to "emulsify" all the potential "floaters" on top; "settlers" on the bottom. At least, that has been my observation.

With this batch, I highly recommend that you let it sequester for a full 2 weeks. By that time, any sediment will have settled to the bottom; any excess oil or unsaponifiables will float to the top. You can remove and save both of these and use them at the kitchen sink.

A turkey baster is good, but if you have a gravy boat, that's even better.

Also, you can add a bit of glycerin at this time. First, warm the LS to about 140°F . Warm the glycerin and stir gently into the batch for one full minute. Sequester 2 weeks.

7.5% Glycerin (Optional. Deduct from water amount.)

HTH :bunny:

Yes, that's the initial test batch STILL! So it has sequestered for quite awhile.

It's on the thin side. Only 4 oz. of glop and 4 oz. of water to start with. I added a couple teaspoons much later to dissolve the top layer. I think I did use a stick blender but will try the heat method.

I read somewhere that it's best to keep your glop as glop until you're close to needing it. I also read recommendations for adding borax or 7 mule team, which I have not done since it passed the zap (tongue) test.

Why a gravy boat? I know a gravy separator might be beneficial in that you pour the bottom layer out first, but I don't get why a gravy boat would be a good thing.

I have some vegetable glycerin, so could use that.

Thanks for the tips, you two! :)

Why a gravy boat? I know a gravy separator might be beneficial in that you pour the bottom layer out first, but I don't get why a gravy boat would be a good thing.
Oopsie, my bad. :oops: You're correct... I meant to say "gravy separator".

With olive oil at 30%, coconut oil, 76 degree at 30%, cocoa butter at 20%, shea butter at 15%, and castor oil at 5%, Borax isn't likely to help thicken this soap, if that's what you're going for??? If, after sequester, it has a pH over 10.5, then you may want to use a 30% Borax solution to lower the pH a bit. (Once dissolved, keep the solution hot while adding or it will precipitate out and get hard as a rock in the bottom of the container.)

With coconut oil over 20%, a good ratio of soap to water for dilution is 40% soap to 60% water; i.e., 4 oz soap and 6 oz water for a total of 10 oz. Or, if you're up for it, 26 oz soap & 35 oz water & 3 oz glycerin (7.5%) to make a half gallon of liquid soap. Pour boiling glycerin/water over chunked up pieces in a stainless pot on the range top. Cover lightly, turn heat down to low and let it do it's thing over 3-4 hours while you do something else.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I have plenty of glop -- it was a 5 lb. batch. So maybe I'll go for the half gallon.

So would this be good for hand soap? Dishwashing liquid? Both?

Thank you!

It's funny... I use every LS I make for just about everything you use soap for. I'm guessing this one will be nice for hand & body, with all those lovely butters in there. Honestly? I'm sure that combo makes one super hard bar! :mrgreen:

Back