Do you "hate" any oil in particular?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zany_In_Co how do you add your silk, cause I soaked and strained and some was still left on the strainer

Hi Dahlia!

I take a piece about the size of a small marble and instead of rolling it into a ball, I gently tease it apart and add it to my lye solution. I let it hydrate about 5 minutes before stirring and then stir until it's completely dissolved. If you're having trouble getting it to dissolve, I know of one soaper who adds it to the NaOH to dissolve it before adding the NaOH to the water. I've not tried that.

:bunny:

I made some with the red palm. I loved the soap and the color! tried to use some TW for color contrast, but next time I will probably use black, or dark red. I had a red but the mica stayed at the bottom, and it was hardening fast because of the lard, so it is what it is.... The only thing I hated, is that it stained my silicone mold. next time I would use a disposable one, like a milk carton.

redpalmbutter0617-1503.jpg

Don't "hate" it per se but Basso brand pomace olive oil is a world of pain. Traces and rices so quickly regardless of the fragrances put in it. Smells weird before full cure to boot. :(

Thanks aihrat I will stay clear of that one.

I just had something similar happen to me, literally an hour ago, and I about to throw a tantrum .... I bought palm kernel oil by mistake. Thought I had click on palm oil, so I figured I use it for my fall vegan fall collection.

Well, it did what you are describing, and I had everything so planned out. I am so mad. I could not do the design I wanted or anything ... we will see how it comes out, but I am so mad.
:headbanging:
What are you all experiences with palm kernel oil?

What are you all experiences with palm kernel oil?
Love it! I use the flakes -- easier to measure.

A favorite liquid soap is 50/50 PKO & Lard, scented with Peppermint EO

PALM OLIVE HARD BAR - a family favorite; plain Jane soap; low odor; moisturizing; nice fluffy lather; elegant feel on the skin; takes color and scent well; use reg. palm (OR sub lard) for a white bar; red palm for orange bar.

Water (32%)
NaOH (2% lye discount)
62.5% palm oil (I use sustainable from Soapers Choice)
23.5% olive oil (I use pomace)
14% PKO (palm kernel oil)

UNMOLD - Less than 24 hours. CURE - 4 weeks.

whoa Thanks Zanny,. I thought it harden too fast for design. I used the palm kernel, olive, coconut, castor, shea butter. Was it the kernel that got like a dough?

I use coconut and ghee in cooking but sometimes I use light olive and avocado. I never use soybean oil in cooking because Of my hyperthyroidism.
But in soaping I use coconut, olive oil, soybean, ricebran and avocado sometimes but it's a bit expensive. Rapeseed ( canola ) i never use it in soaping at all.

whoa Thanks Zanny,. I thought it harden too fast for design. I used the palm kernel, olive, coconut, castor, shea butter. Was it the kernel that got like a dough?
I don't know, but if you used raw shea butter, that would be my best guess. I used raw shea in a batch once and was very disappointed with the finished soap-- doughy would be a good description.

Love it! I use the flakes -- easier to measure.

A favorite liquid soap is 50/50 PKO & Lard, scented with Peppermint EO

PALM OLIVE HARD BAR - a family favorite; plain Jane soap; low odor; moisturizing; nice fluffy lather; elegant feel on the skin; takes color and scent well; use reg. palm (OR sub lard) for a white bar; red palm for orange bar.

Water (32%)
NaOH (2% lye discount)
62.5% palm oil (I use sustainable from Soapers Choice)
23.5% olive oil (I use pomace)
14% PKO (palm kernel oil)

UNMOLD - Less than 24 hours. CURE - 4 weeks.

I love PKO as well. I use it in pretty much all of my bar soaps. I use equal portions of PKO (12%-15%) and CO (12%-15%) with a touch of castor (5%). Maybe it's just me; but I think the PKO and CO work in synergy to provide a lovely bubbly lather that either one singly just doesn't achieve. ;)

Thank you all. I guess that what messed my batter was the shea butter.

I just took it out of the mold, it has a lot of air pockets.:headbanging:

By the way Zany, the red palm butter soap is an absolute "yum" on the skin. I love it!

Zany_In_Co how do you add your silk, cause I soaked and strained and some was still left on the strainer

I use a tiny ball then cut it up using scissors. I pour water over it to soak then add the lye. I do this for a master batch so you only do it once in a while. It dissolves completely and stays dissolved.

I'm not sure it makes a difference to the feel of the soap.

Has anyone ever use Sesame oil? What do you think of it?

The other day I was at a Chinese grocery store, and they have all types and colors of sesame oil. I even saw one that was black????

I use coconut and ghee in cooking but sometimes I use light olive and avocado. I never use soybean oil in cooking because Of my hyperthyroidism.
But in soaping I use coconut, olive oil, soybean, ricebran and avocado sometimes but it's a bit expensive. Rapeseed ( canola ) i never use it in soaping at all.

Have you ever tried ghee in soap?

Has anyone ever use Sesame oil? What do you think of it?

The other day I was at a Chinese grocery store, and they have all types and colors of sesame oil. I even saw one that was black????

Yes, I like sesame oil very much. As a single oil soap test, I found it to produce a very conditioning lather & I loved how it smelled. I haved use it in a small percentage in a couple of my recipes. One of my all time favorites has 7% Sesame Oil. It started out as a shampoo bar adapted from a recipe I found online, which later became my personal luxury body bar, made HP. I love it. But sesame oil is not the only luxury oil in the bar. Anyway I have used it a couple of times in other soaps as well. I still have a couple of bars from 18 months ago and they are as perfect as when brand new.

Go for it, it makes a great experiment.

I wandering if anyone use corn oil in soaping? I got one but don't if know easily having DO'S?

I have also used corn oil. I did not like it. As a single oil soap it developed DOS fast, was quite soft. In a very small percentage in soap, it can be a 'filler' but I don't think it's a good soaping oil in my experience. I don't like it for cooking either. But if you do decide to try it for soaping, I recommend adding ROE to it as soon as you open the bottle. It goes bad fast.

I have also used corn oil. I did not like it. As a single oil soap it developed DOS fast, was quite soft. In a very small percentage in soap, it can be a 'filler' but I don't think it's a good soaping oil in my experience. I don't like it for cooking either. But if you do decide to try it for soaping, I recommend adding ROE to it as soon as you open the bottle. It goes bad fast.

Thank you Earlene. I don't like using it in my cooking too due to gmo.

yep, corn is bad because of GMO, but I think you can find gmo free versions out there.

So since it seems that what ruined my design last time was the shea butter. How about cocoa butter? Will it behave like shea?

Back