What soapy mistake have you made today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the scent on the meatloaf one? :) Cool looking, but def. meatloaf LOL

When using half a batch to pour some testers, I intended to use the other half to make some unscented colored soaps. Oooo I'll do allspice and paprika and plain!
Two measuring cups.....wait...that should've been three. Already blended in the spices before realizing I didn't leave any plain. Orange and brown seashells anyone? Well, there's always confetti....

Thx you all for chiming in and making me feel not alone on this!
I introduce my hp fix.

Brain gray matter. You can see it better from the side view. Eww.

IMAG2382.jpg

IMAG2380.jpg

I don't think the color is bad at all. You could plane the top and call it Mediterranean Clay Mine or something, I find renaming in my own mind helps the step-children soaps a great deal :) Also, I think the texture looks *great* for HP.

ETA: now that I renamed it, I don't think you even need to plane it, see :)

Last edited:
Today's soapy adventure started with washing the glass thermometer, then breaking it when I shook it dry over the sink. Luckily nothing else went wrong!

my mistake wasn't made today. was probably 2 months ago when I ordered 2 gallons organic red RSPO palm oil from soapers choice without realizing how bright orange it would make my soaps. Another mistake was not ordering any regular palm oil, which is easier to correct but haven't done that yet. today I made a favorite, lavender and orange soap with calendula infused olive oil, that has ground orange zest and calendula petals. I thought TD would soften the color a bit and lend a creamy look. didn't happen, well I had a little over 18% of that bright orange oil in the recipe. At least its an orange scented soap and it smells orange in the whole house. The ground zest really anchors the EO and gives a sweetness to the scent.
I am really wary of making my mint and star anise soap or litsea and eucalyptus soap with the PO I have.

OMG, K, I made exactly the same mistake w/red palm oil. I only got a couple of lbs of it, but it makes the soaps so darn orange you can only use a teeny bit of it. I will never get through it before it goes off, I am not that much of an orange fan. You are going to have to become the world's expert on orange themed soaps, my poor RPO beleaguered friend :)

Does the orange color stay or does it fade? Because I'd like some orange colorant...hrmmmm

Nsmar, I have heard that it fades after a while, although my first ones (after 4 mos maybe?) are still pretty fricking orange, and I did not mean them to be. You only want a tinge of orange in OMH, not a butt-load. I might have used to much RPO (maybe 15%?) and I think people usually recommend stopping at 5% before it takes over and starts becoming a staining/bleeding juggernaut.

I just bought six 3 liter bottles of olive oil at Costco (2 bottles for $26.99). When I got home, I figured out I ended up actually spending .447 per ounce. Not quite the deal I thought I was getting.

Last edited:
Sure thing, NA. When I bought it, I was freaking out over the deal. It is only .133 per FL oz. However, when I converted it to mass, that's when I discovered it wasn't all that inexpensive after all. Then again, maybe everyone lists OO in fluid oz instead of mass. If so, BOY DID I GET A DEAL!

You could always start on Halloween themed soaps with all the orangey goodness :)

I just bought six 3 liter bottles of olive oil at Costco (2 bottles for $26.99). When I got home, I figured out I ended up actually spending .447 per ounce. Not quite the deal I thought I was getting. ��

Teresa, I think the math actually comes out to 14 cents an ounce or 2.25$ a pound. Much cheaper than any other place.

ETA: just saw your correction. Although I don't actually know how much a fluid oz of OO would weigh, I just weighed my empty OO bottle and a full 3 lt bottle, the weight was 2765gms, a little over 6 lb. So I would think the fluid ounce and weight ounce are pretty much same. So it is still an awesome deal.

Last edited:
Olive oil's listed density has a range--800 to 920 g/L. Water is 1000 exactly.

So worst-case $0.133 per fluid ounce would be 0.133 / 0.800, or $0.166 per (edit) mass ounce (although in American measurement, the proportion still applies). Best case, $0.133 / 0.920, or $0.145.

Either way, that's a pretty good deal.

Last edited:
Teresa, I think the math actually comes out to 14 cents an ounce or 2.25$ a pound. Much cheaper than any other place.

ETA: just saw your correction. Although I don't actually know how much a fluid oz of OO would weigh, I just weighed my empty OO bottle and a full 3 lt bottle, the weight was 2765gms, a little over 6 lb. So I would think the fluid ounce and weight ounce are pretty much same. So it is still an awesome deal.

Really? I knew I sucked at math, but I didn't realize I sucked that bad. 1 liter OO weighs 2.013 lbs. one bottle = 3 liters = 6.039 lbs x 2 bottles = 12.078 lbs (Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh: $2.24/lb $0.14/oz.)

OK. I divided 12.078 lbs by $26.99 and came up with .447 per ounce. Because I thought 2.24 per "ounce" was not correct. Uh, yes, that is not correct and this is proof positive that I suck at math. :lolno:

Thanks, V! I'm doing a happy dance right now. You are awesome!

Edit: thanks to you, too, Morpheus. We can all agree I definitely suck at math. (And Costco has a great deal on OO.). So, I guess I should move my posts from here? LOL.

Last edited:
Edit: thanks to you, too, Morpheus. We can all agree I definitely suck at math. (And Costco has a great deal on OO.). So, I guess I should move my posts from here? LOL.

Just call today's soapy mistake a minor math error and call it a day.

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. Had a horrible soaping day as well. Got a new FO from sweetcakes to make my lemon kitchen soap. Used to use Lemon Balm FO from Sweetcakes, but since it is discontinued, I purchased their Lemon Zest. All was going well: oils/lye mixed, had dried lemon zest and poppyseeds mixed in. Once I added the FO it was a disaster. Soap turned into oatmeal and I barely got it in the mold. Nyone have any problems with this FO? I have been soaping for 15 years and never had such a horrible seizing problem.

Really? I knew I sucked at math, but I didn't realize I sucked that bad. 1 liter OO weighs 2.013 lbs. one bottle = 3 liters = 6.039 lbs x 2 bottles = 12.078 lbs (Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh: $2.24/lb $0.14/

Thanks, V! I'm doing a happy dance right now. You are awesome.

Lol, I just thought that the .447$ price looked a little steep, so I calculated and recalculated so I can actually be correct while I'm correcting your math :). We all have those moments, no need to beat yourself up. I second MorpheusPA's suggestion, call this a soapy mistake and move on.

Back