T-50 for rice bran oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godschild

Reaction score
I am ordering the 6 gallons of rice bran oil from Riceland. At only .1% use of T-50 if I added it to preserve each gallon would be 12 oz per gallon. That will get expensive with the price of the T-50! Is there another way to preserve all that oil that is less expensive because it is going to take me a while to use all that up. What about freezing it? Thanks in advance for any advice you may be willing to offer.

I think you have made a bit of a miscalculation, .1% of six gallons is only around 22 grams. Much more economical. :)

Oh heck. I'm so tired that I can't thing too well right this minute lol. Good thing I am not soaping tonight and just planning and ordering stuff. Thanks. Now I am asking myself how I got at 12 ounces bahahahahaha.

So how much would you put in each 1 gallon jug? Please forgive my ignorance atm. I've had no sleep from being in terrible pain. Had a shot in my shoulder the other day that helped not one bit and my back is burning so bad a weaker person would would be in tears from it. It makes concentrating impossible. Did manage to spend a couple hundred dollars on supplies in less than 2 hours though, not including the rice bran oil which I will be ordering over the phone when they open tomorrow. Can I freeze it as well to help extend the shelf life? It will take me forever to use all that oil.

I'm not sure about freezing the oils, i'm sure there will be something about that if you search the forum. .1% of 1 US gallon is 3.78 grams. Good luck!

lolol thanks. Duh me. I'm finally feeling like I may be able to sleep finally. May God bless you :)

I just eyeball it, maybe a tsp. per gallon of oil when adding to base oils. Honestly, I keep my sealed Riceland Rice bran oil in the storage room of my basement. I don't add any Vit. E to it as I use it for cooking too and use it up faster than I would if I used it just for soaping.

Oh help me folks .. I had no idea RBO could go rancid quickly. I have 5 gal of the stuff and it's sitting unused at the moment because I'm too busy renovating to soap. What should I do and what is T-50?

I've purchased 40 lbs of rice bran oil, and it didn't go bad without adding any preservatives. I think you will be fine. I wouldn't freeze it, but I do keep things like grapeseed, hemp, & avocado in the fridge.

I am awaiting the arrival of my 6 gal of rbo and am just going to do like they said and put some T-50 in it and hope for the best. They are having a sale at Camden Grey and they have a bottle of 4oz I think for about $14.

Yeah, Camden Grey can be quite expensive. Top notch quality in my experience, but you pay through the nose for it. Even their shipping is expensive, and I'm in the same state as them, lol! I will say, however, that their oakmoss absolute is the best one I've ever used and is a bit cheaper than most of the other suppliers. I use them for a couple things, but not very often.

Back