Cold Process then Oven Process

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ccumato

Reaction score
So I don't want to wait 4-6 weeks. Lol :(

I just read about cold process. Pour in your mold. Then leave it in the oven on 175 for 1.5 hours with freezer paper on the top and then leave it in over night cooling in the oven slowly and POOF no waiting.

Is that true? Or dumb

You can do it like that. I prefer to preheat the oven to 175 and then turn it off when I put the soap into the oven. I don't do this very often though as I do just let the soap do its thing....

I'm a little confused by CPOP, i understand that it speeds up the gel process and makes sure the whole soap block gels. BUT what i don't understand is how can the soap be usable sooner than CP thats gone through gel stage wrapped in a blanket or towel?

Exactly Wandawump. The other week I did a hot process soap and then used the exact same recipe for cold process soap and in doing so, it made me realise hot process is just gelling in the pot and cold process is just gelling in the mould and cp in the oven is exactly as you say. So, it is my opinion all soap is on equal footing after it has gelled. We can use our cold process soap the next day, and we can use the HP immediately, but now I see some advising to cure it as well, which I tend to agree with but just so it drys out a bit and lasts longer. I think it is all in the curing/drying time that counts not the way it gels.

The main difference with hot process vs CP gelled, as far as I can tell, is that you can put your additives in at the end after the lye is used up. So botanicals have less chance of discoloring, fragrance less likely to morph and you can use less, and there is a much greater chance that a superfatting oil will be the one that the lye doesn't touch.

That said, regardless of method, I wait at least a month before I use it.

I agree. You can't short-cut cure time. Not only does your bar dry out properly and get nice and hard, but in those four to six weeks, all kinds of important micro-reactions take place that make your soap wonderful. It can't be rushed. That's just an unfortunate part of soap making, the wait.

Latest posts

Back