sweetened condensed milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would think you could use it, but wouldn't want to use too much. I'd insulate very lightly if at all to see how hot it would get. With all that sugar it might heat up quite a bit. But, you could end up with an interesting scent in the soap if it smelled like burnt sweet milk.

OT... Kerrie, your picture scares the beegeebers out of me!

Jax: You should totally try the sweetened condensed milk and let us know how it goes! Sounds interesting!

well, i bit the bullet and tried a 1300g batch yesterday evening. so far it looks fine - i swirled with a mix of ground cloves and cinnamon (it's for christmas) and made 2 pringles tubs and 19 tiny sample bars. i was able to take the bars out of the silicone mould today but they were still slightly soft so i've left the pringles tubs until tomorrow.

no sign of gelling or overheating - i covered the silicone mould with cling film but the pringles tubs i just left on the counter.

i used my 30.5% readymade liquid lye at room temperature and added the condensed milk at trace - not one problem!! i was expecting a volcano. instead the milk just needed blitzing a bit to mix it through.

i poured off half to mix in the spices and they seemed to thin the mix out a little but apart from that everything has gone to plan. when i unmould and cut it i will post some pics.

i can smell the spices but not much scent from the milk yet. it lathered beautifully today when i washed my hands with a scrap from the mould.

one question: i used some of the bars to make small balls - can these be cured and then put into a future soap? or do i have to have a fresh embed as it were? sorry, that's 2 questions :lol:

Good gor you, trying that . I always use scraps to make balls and put them to cure, for future soaps or my kids use them, they think it 's more fun to wash with balls :lol:

Hestey- I love taking photos of bugs!!! Love it!

Please post pictures of the soaps once unmolded and cured for a few days. Sometimes the only way to know if something works is to do it!

I'm glad I read this thread here because two hours ago I'm thinking if I could use Dulce de leche instead of cream and honey and composition of my boat (brand Dulce de leche Chimbote) is: whole milk, sugar, skim milk and vanilla flavor. This takes no more. I would be interested to know how much you can put in 2000 gms (70 oz) would be the same as sugar? I had thought a tablespoon. It would have to be careful about overheating? I do gelled my soaps.

Last edited:
I used it in my caramel soap and it turned out just fine. Just make sure to freeze it first

Back