Infused Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvOurNewf

Reaction score
Can you infuse any oil?

I want to infuse coconut oil with Spirulina and I want to make enough so I have some left for additional batches later on. Obviously I need to melt the oil and when completed it will re-solidify.

Can this be stored for use later on after it's been heated?
In the fridge or just in a cool location?

Absolutely! Make sure your botanicals are not wet. If you're picking them fresh, let them sit out in a single layer for 24 hours (flipping them once) to remove any surface moisture.

You can infuse in a warm crock pot or melt the oil and pour it into a container that is crammed with your botanical.

Monks used to infuse lard with rose petals by pouring a thin layer of lard, placing petals on top, then pouring another thin layer on top of lard on top of that. They would change out the rose petals many, many times.

As for storage, if the oil is stable at room temp, then it should be okay to continue to store it this way.

The biggest trouble you will get into is if you try to infuse botanicals that are wet and are not fully submerged in the oil. You will get mold.

Did you try this yet? I hot infused coconut oil last night with parsley. Now it's a beautiful green color. My only concern is the oil is still liquid, even after cooling off all night. I thought it might be how warm the house was at 3 this morning, but now at 7, the house is cooler and it's still liquid. My main bottle of coconut oil is solidified. Did you or anyone else experience this?

Well after almost 24 hours, the coconut oil is finally firming up. Not sure why it took so long. I got my mold from BB today. Going to do a salt soap with a green swirl this weekend. Crossing my fingers it comes out well!

tryanything said:
Did you try this yet?

Sure did. Came out fine but I stuck mine in the fridge to speed things along as far as firming up the coconut oil. Haven't used it yet but it sure does have a smell to it. Being an algae it's kind of what I expected but didn't realize how strong it would be. Nice blue/green color.

Latest posts

Back