Do I list this twice on the label?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sativa Skin Care

Reaction score
I make hemp lip balms with hemp seed oil and hemp butter. When going to put down the INCI names for them I wondered if I needed to list hemp seed oil twice seeing as I use hemp seed oil (Cannabis Sativa) and hemp butter has hemp seed oil in it. Should it look like this?:

Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed oil (and) Hydronated Vegetable Oil, Tocopherol, Flavor

or this?

Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed oil (and) Hydronated Vegetable Oil, Tocopherol, Flavor

Thanks so much!!

No, you don't need to list it twice, but you do need to make sure that the total amount still places it in correct order on the ingredient list.

yep- it's all about listing the largest amount things first. So, the hemp+hemp = lots of hemp. :)

I believe that you DO have to list it twice since it's appearing not only straight up, but in the combination with the other oil. Since you have no way of knowing how much is in there, it's the only accurate way to list it.

"lots of hemp" is not a specific quantity.

no kidding.
I didn't say she had to list it first. I meant that when you have some, and you add more, you have more than either amount on it's own.

obviously, she needs to determine what the largest % of the formula is and list that before others.

My question on that one, is that if you're using hemp seed oil, and hemp seed butter, they are different chemically. I would think they would get listed separately, but I don't know much about INCI names, without looking those up specifically.

pretty sure I didn't say that.
unfortunately she cannot determine the %.

as for the oil and butter being chemically different - it depends. if it's really hydrog soy + the hemp oil, then the oil is the same. if it's hydrog hemp I think that would be different - but suppliers don't seem to always list it as such. INCI aren't standardized as they should be (also not international as they should be but that's a different topic)

So sorry. I thought you were saying that I meant "lots of hemp" was some sort of technical description!

So, INCI doesn't require different forms of the same chemical to be listed?
That's interesting. How does one use INCI nomenclature when they use Crisco?

You only need to list it once, depending on your percentage of Hemp oil straight up compared to the wax. Since you're making a lip balm I expect the wax to remain in 1st place. If you were listing using english instead of INCI then you would list it as Hemp Butter, but with INCI you only have to have it in order of % used. I do expect that in the Hemp butter hemp is the lower ingredient, however since you already have Hemp listed second it would remain in that position. INCI does not require items listed twice.

Cheers

2 different things:
Hemp Seed Oil INCI= Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil
Hemp Butter INCI = Cannabis Sativa Seed Butter

I believe carebear is correct (US FDA standards) . If you have a boxed mix of cake or brownies in your cupboard, grab it & take a look. If your ingredient has ingredients you have to say so.

Brownie example: Sugar, Enriched Flour, Powdered Sugar (Sugar, Corn Syrup), Cocoa Powder, etc, etc

Notice how Sugar is the 1st ingredient but is also listed as an ingredient within the Powdered Sugar?

Yes, I know, brownies are a food, but that was the only example I had in front of me.

lipbalm ingredient list sample: Olive oil, Coconut oil, Cannabis Sativa Seed Butter (Cannabis Sativa Seed Butter, Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil ) Bees Wax, Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil , flavor, etc, etc

The butter would be listed and the oil would be listed, the ingredients of the butter would be in () even if redundant.

Tabitha said:
2 different things:
Hemp Seed Oil INCI= Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil
Hemp Butter INCI = Cannabis Sativa Seed Butter

I believe carebear is correct (US FDA standards) . If you have a boxed mix of cake or brownies in your cupboard, grab it & take a look. If your ingredient has ingredients you have to say so.

Brownie example: Sugar, Enriched Flour, Powdered Sugar (Sugar, Corn Syrup), Cocoa Powder, etc, etc

Notice how Sugar is the 1st ingredient but is also listed as an ingredient within the Powdered Sugar?

Yes, I know, brownies are a food, but that was the only example I had in front of me.

lipbalm ingredient list sample: Olive oil, Coconut oil, Cannabis Sativa Seed Butter (Cannabis Sativa Seed Butter, Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil ) Bees Wax, Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil , flavor, etc, etc

The butter would be listed and the oil would be listed, the ingredients of the butter would be in () even if redundant.

Thanks! That makes sense :)

Back