My Soap Turned Pink

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyMama4992

Reaction score
Hello! New here and new to CP Soap making. I made a batch tonight with coconut oil, olive oil, castor oil, EO Cedarwood, EO Fir Needle. I added blue oxide for color and after a few minutes it turned my batter a grayish pink. Any idea what happened here? I have the hardest time with recipes that are scented with EO's.

My first batches of HP high lard soap turned pink using Egyptian Dragon FO, and I think it was a combination of the FO and the preservatives in the lard. Next batch of lard makes pretty white soap except for the FO's that discolor.

I don't know if cedarwood EO discolors, but I'd guess off the top of my head it or the fir needle is the source.

So I have nice pretty pale pink bath soap, not exactly what I planned, but it's nice soap. Sorry you were planning on blue though.

The pink may fade as the soap cures too, although that may leave you with blue on the edges and purple in the middle. Always a surprise making soap, I think....

Marketed for cp or melt & pour? I only buy colorants from soap supply companies that test the colors so they know how they behave.

This. I rarely trust reviews. Unless that product had well over 200 reviews (like 500+ reviews) I would not trust that product at all.

There are a number of reliable suppliers for CP soap colorants. Brambleberry, Bulk Apothecary and Nurture Soap are three well known ones. I'll be ordering a whole slew of micas from Nurture in the next couple of months, lots of them are made with mineral pigments, not artificial colors.

I have used cedarwood many times in my soaps, and I've never had discoloration. I haven't used fir needle, however.

I agree with others that it may be the colorant.

Latest posts

Back