ground rice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wessam

Reaction score
anybody has any idea why some lotion bars recipes include ground rice?

I wonder if it's used much the same way that people use cornstarch in their body butters or lotion bars- to reduce the 'greasiness'? Anyway, that's my guess.

IrishLass :)

Do you mean rice flour? If so, I know that stuff gets supppper sticky when it gets wet. Its not like cornstarch. I would think it would make a body butter sticky in texture but I certainly don't know as I haven't tried it! Its also possible that ground rice may act as a binder and that's why it's found in recipes. Just shooting ideas. [emoji4]

Interesting question yielding some really interesting answers. According to some sources, it is 'the thing' in beauty, recently discovered in Western Hemisphere, but known to Asians:shifty:( read Japanese). Will read up a little more before coming back here to tell you.

This is as vague as when Captain Vague of The Vague-a-trons stormed Vague Castle to overthrow Emperor Vague.

Which recipes? What sort of amount of ground rice is involved? A little direction goes a long way.

Here you go for example.. and no exact quantitites are mention

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ofcAyXbkBE[/ame]

I don't really understand why you would need an exfoliant in lotion bars. To me, that is something that you use in the bath so that you can wash off the exfoliated skin, rather than as a moisturizer.

Also - and want to make clear that the video, made by an African American woman, did not talk about this - I hate the idea of skin lighteners. I am Indian, and am perfectly happy being brown, too many of us still feel that looking whiter is better. One of the things that makes me crazy about traveling in Asia is seeing ads/billboards for those &*&% skin lighteners.

ETA: Also, I thought it was a little strange that in the video she said that the beeswax was optional, my lotion bars would be a melty soft mess w/o it.

Last edited:
I don't really understand why you would need an exfoliant in lotion bars. To me, that is something that you use in the bath so that you can wash off the exfoliated skin, rather than as a moisturizer.

Also - and want to make clear that the video, made by an African American woman, did not talk about this - I hate the idea of skin lighteners. I am Indian, and am perfectly happy being brown, too many of us still feel that looking whiter is better. One of the things that makes me crazy about traveling in Asia is seeing ads/billboards for those &*&% skin lighteners.

ETA: Also, I thought it was a little strange that in the video she said that the beeswax was optional, my lotion bars would be a melty soft mess w/o it.

in my country for example we have a large diversity of skin color, however we have real brute sun.. so you may have light skin color in generalm but your face only gets dark because it's most exposed to the sun that at some point you feel that the face does not belong to the rest of the body... so skin lighteners are important for us.

i have searched a little bit about it... rice same as oatmeal works as skin lightener and toner

Latest posts

Back