A Cream Soap Tutorial

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"...if shea is tried to be used as a supercream it isn't broken down into its parts and thus won't work in the same way..."

Bingo! You nailed it! :) Sometimes it helps to hear something explained a couple of different ways. Everyone's like that, but not everyone is willing to keep pegging away to try to understand. You did, Alaska, and I'm glad you kept asking questions until you got the info you needed.

I know that this is an old thread, but I have my first batch in the slower cooker and I am very excited to see how it goes!

It seems to have turned out OK. There are still some small chunks no matter how long I whipped it. It is rotting right now - so I am hoping it will improve in texture in a few months.

I want to make another batch with other oils I have. This could become addictive!

I had a thought about this on the way to work. Much better to think about soap than to think about traffic.

Could one put away the soap before creaming it? Like let it age in a brick/loaf and in 6 months cream it? It seems like it might save for a longer time since there's less water and a lot less surface area.

Lee I don't know I've never thought of trying that.
I think you said you've only had one batch go bad. I was thinking not adding water to it would help prevent even that one. Maybe I'll do one either way (if I can find my damned dough hook!)

LOL - let us know your experience. I learned that it was condensation that caused my problem. Preservative wouldn't have stopped that because preservative doesn't immigrate with the condensation.

I have a batch rotting I made back on February 24th. I didn't whip it for the first time until March 22. When I put it into the container it was so hard, I found it hard to believe it would soften, but soften it did. I whipped it with no additional moisture, it was lovely, creamy - but back into the container it went. Haven't touched it since. I want to leave it go for a good six months before I do anything with it. I don't think I'll add any more water to it. This is the picture after that first whipping (sounds so decadent, doesn't it??)

cream-soap-first-whip.jpg

I think I may need to try this soon but first I have 2 questions.
1 where do you find koh?
2 what do you use it for again? Just shaving or scrub? Is this used like a soap for body in the shower also?
It sounds interesting and would be great to make and let sit and then have in time for Christmas gifts!

Oops forgot one question, how do I rework properly to sub almond for avocado.

I think autocorrect hates me,

The uses for this are as a soap, shave soap, for sugar/salt scrubs, facial cleanser and more. Your imagination will come up with so many applications.

Thank you both! I just didn't want to make a ton and find out its limited to shaving. I will have to get some koh and put this on the to do list. Wonderful, and simple tutorial by the way. I saw something like this explained to make cp soap and that's when I thought I can do that! I think I like visuals!

OK, here is my latest attempt at shaving cream. In a previous batch I lowered the initial lye discount to 9% and after the cook added in 3% shea and 3% mango butter with the supercream for a final superfat of 15%. It wasn't drying during the couple of test shaves I did, but I think that level of superfat was hurting the lather.
Yesterday I made another batch but lowered the final superfat to ~12% by lowering the lye discount to 6%. I haven't shaved with it yet but the test lather was pretty dang good. I have high hopes for this batch.

20150508_173439 (Medium).jpg

20150508_173543 (Medium).jpg

Latest posts

Back