Do you "hate" any oil in particular?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunRiseArts

Reaction score
Well, hate is probably a strong word.... but the one I dislike the most is canola oil. I would not cook with it either.

Is there any oil you particularly never would use in CP or HP?

BTW I have learn so much about oils soaping, there are soaps in the soapee calculator I did not even know existed!

Canola oil-can't stand the smell of it. Won't eat anything with it in there. Stinks to high heaven! I just do not understand how people stand the stuff.

Soybean oil. I will cook with it, but not soap with it.

I won't use soy oil in my soaps or use other people's soap if it contains soy.
I don't care much for olive either, I still use it but in small amounts. Since I don't soap much anymore, I've been using more avocado instead of OO.

Interesting topic! :thumbup: Peanut oil is a no-no for me. I have this fear of sending someone into anaphylactic shock. Seriously. Great for stir-fry tho! Also canola oil -- genetically modified -- so many other, better, choices. Oh, I just remembered, deer tallow -- stinks to high heaven! Ugh.

Soybean oil is the debil. Eating soy triggers migraines for me and so I have to spend a little more than I'd like to avoid it. I also don't eat my favorite candies too much because of it. I won't even consider soaping with it because I don't want it in my home.

Tree nut oils are dangerous for my kid so they are also banned from my home. I would NEVER soap with them even if those oils were the last oils on this planet. I will just have to bathe with water alone...

I don't hate lard soaps but my face sure does. I also can not eat pork and since we know where lard came from... See why Crisco and butter are my friends?

Interesting. I have been incorporation some of the Walmart tallow/palm in my recipes. I have never use butter Arimara, you mean like real butter? It has not even occur to me.

Canola... haven't used it in soaps but it's terrible eating oil. I can't imagine it would be good in soap.
Wasn't fan of tallow in soaps, produces great hardness and light colour but it made my soaps crumbly.
Olive oil... for me it's more like a filler oil, can't see any advantages of adding lots of OO in the recipe. I use around 10%.

I looove rice bran oil, it's fantastic in soaps.

Canola is a poison people. I do not have it in house for over 12 years. For cooking I use CO and lard, If I need liquid oil Avocado Oil is my choice. Can not imagine canola on my skin. Many people ever infuse herbs in it and make salves.............Horror
The same for cotton oil

For me, it's soy. I will cook with soybean oil however.
Every soap I've ever made with soy; and it's only been a few, have developed DOS. Now this was plain old liquid soybean oil. I've read that the fully hydrogenated soy (soy wax) is a completely different animal; but I have never used it.

I USED to hate on canola in soap; but then I was making a tiger stripe soap and I needed the batter to remain liquid for a long time. I had read on another forum that mid or high oleic canola made nice mild soap and had the added benefit of slowing down trace when used at 15 to 25 percent. I also learned that Walmart's Great Value brand canola is a mid oleic canola and it's cheap. I figured, why not give it a try?

I have to say I was quite surprised that at 25% or less the mid oleic canola does make a nice mild soap similar to a high olive oil recipe (but without the slime) and after 12 or so weeks of curing, it's acceptably hard. After 6 months there is no sign of DOS.

Is canola a "go to" oil for me in soap making? No, it isn't. However, I think in specific situations it certainly can be useful; and I don't automatically dismiss it anymore.

Canola... haven't used it in soaps but it's terrible eating oil. I can't imagine it would be good in soap.
Wasn't fan of tallow in soaps, produces great hardness and light colour but it made my soaps crumbly.
Olive oil... for me it's more like a filler oil, can't see any advantages of adding lots of OO in the recipe. I use around 10%.

I looove rice bran oil, it's fantastic in soaps.

Have you cooked with this oil? it's a little pricey but it's great and still cheaper than avocado oil (which is also good for cooking)

I avoided canola for over a decade and then I needed an extra oil in a pinch and bought some canola from Costco. To me, it has no smell at all. I ended up loving the soaps I made with it. I consider it now a luxury oil right after avocado, macademia and hazelnut. I don't care that it's inexpensive. I make many different oil mixes and I always know when I have a good portion of these 4 oils in my soap. I've increased the amount of canola I add to soaps and hasn't had any problem with DOS.

The only lesson of trying different oils is that you never know what your skin might like. With that said, I won't use peanut, corn, cotton, grapeseed and most of what you find in regular supermarkets.

I dislike soy in soap and dislike high olive oil. I happen to love canola in soap using it in the 20% range without any problems with dos. I purchase my HO Canola from Restaurant Depot and it has no detecable odor. Prior to this I used mid I oleic from Cibaria and have also used regular with no dos problems. Maybe it just likes my formula :)

Have you cooked with this oil? it's a little pricey but it's great and still cheaper than avocado oil (which is also good for cooking)
I'll go ya one better, Arimara. 1 part sesame oil + 3 parts RBO is heart healthy and known to lower high blood pressure. It tastes way better than olive oil in salad dressing and cooking -- I even put it on baked potatoes! After years of using olive oil, I'm happy to have found something I really like on and in food.

Gotta run... time to fry up some pork chops in a bit of RBO & Sesame! YUM!
:wave:

I purposely avoid using soy oil, canola oil, grapeseed oil, and hemp oil in my soap. My 'avoid' list for soap is actually longer than that, but suffice it to say that as a general rule, I pretty much avoid using any of the exceptionally high-linoleic soaping oils. Rice bran oil is an exception for me, though. Although it is high in linoleic, it's not as high as the others I mentioned, and it adds a nice touch to my 50% olive oil soap formula.

The following are the oils/fats I like to use for cooking:

-real butter
-olive oil
-lard (Fanny & Flo's leaf lard)
-ghee (homemade)
-peanut oil
-HO safflower or HO sunflower oil
-Spectrum palm oil

I refuse to have margarine or Crisco in my house.

IrishLass :)

When it comes to soaping, I don't use olive anymore. Not because I don't like it, but there's so much talk about it being adulterated, that I'd rather not bother with it. If I make a true castile, I buy a nice California-grown brand.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I hate the smell of castor, but I use it in soap anyway. The smell doesn't come through and it actually brings something to the formula. But in a leave-on product, no way.
I hate the smell of soybean oil. In fact, I rarely eat commercial mayonnaise any more because I can't smell anything but the soybean oil. I have hens and I soap with HO sunflower so if I want mayo, I make it from scratch.

Soy Wax, however, is another story. I use it in all of my bars. I like what it brings to the soap, and I can avoid the smell of animal fats. I have a love-hate relationship with meat--pork in particularly. I eat meat, but pork in particular has a smell that I can't always get past. Even bacon can occasionally turn my stomach <<shudder>>.

But the exception that proves the rule--lanolin. I LOVE the smell of wool, and lanolin, and a barn full of sheep. Go figure.

And lastly, there's Crisco. It has a smell, and I do use it for a few baked- goods (molasses cookies are at their best with Crisco. . . or bacon grease; I'm a contradiction, I know!). But when it comes to pie crust, it's butter all the way!

It's about $20 for 5l in my local Costco (I'm in Australia) and cheap at supermarket sales so not that expensive for us.
I use it for deep frying, it has quite high smoke point.
For everything else is EVOO or real butter.

There's a really good diagram for olive oil production, I came up the other day when I was searching pomace oil. It explains what OO is what and how it's made. Normal OO that we get at the supermarket is 85% "refined olive oil" and only 15% EVOO, hence that really off, chemically smell.

Canola is a poison people. I do not have it in house for over 12 years. For cooking I use CO and lard, If I need liquid oil Avocado Oil is my choice. Can not imagine canola on my skin. Many people ever infuse herbs in it and make salves.............Horror
The same for cotton oil
I feel that way about canola, too. After seeing what they have to do to make it palatable on How It's Made, I never bought it again. I don't eat soy either if I'm cooking (although I still eat some processed foods that are probably going to have soy.) I cook with butter, lard, or coconut, olive or avocado.

I do soap with hydrogenated soy for Daughter #1's vegan soap because it's in the new Crisco w/ palm.

BG thanks is nice to see other people have similar opinion. I was researching Canola, and no. I bet we had seen the same program. I love "how is made"
I use Soy bean in some lotions but it must be NO GMO. I stopped eating anything processed when I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2, Lard, Avocado, CO and butter, for cooking
soaping: lard, tallow, OO, shea butter , cocoa butter, Avocado O, argan , abissynian, Apricot kernel oil, Palm oil, Kernel palm flakes from time to time, and my luxury soap with babassu :)
Canola is so cheap that it makes me suspicious ......

Latest posts

Back