How do YOU read SMF?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazyUmbrella

Reaction score
Hello fellow soapers!

So I've been out of the loop for over a year now - these darn responsibilities were keeping me away from the important things - and now I come back, like the prodigal son! Even my SMF membership expired :cry:

Anyway, as I dust off my soapmaking equipment and get my memberships back online, and start reading all the awesome contributions everyone makes here, I figure now is a good time to ask you the following:

How do you read SMF?

More specifically, do you have an information-gathering strategy? Do you just go through all the topics one-by-one? Do you bookmark and organize interesting posts?

There's so much interesting information to be found - i just don't want to read it and forget about it! Or maybe that's the idea - just read consistently and regularly, and soon things come into place?

I just wanted to see how you guys do it!

Thanks and looking forward to making a more notable contribution to the community, this n-th time around! :mrgreen:

For searching for specific topics, I go to Google and type in the following:

site:soapmakingforum.com blahblahblah

I find this is a really quick way to find a lot of threads about "blahblahblah" (whatever the search term might be).

When I find a great nugget of info, I save it in my OneNote. I like OneNote because I can access it from all my devices, so if I find something neat at work, I have easy access to it at home too.

I'm a lazy umbrella too! I only read headlines, i.e., "Subject"-lines. If it's something I'm interested in, or can lend a helping hand, then I read on. That's about it. Oh, and I like to welcome new members. Sometimes those threads can be great fun!

Welcome back, LazyUmbrella! :wave:

Yes- I most definitely have an information-gathering strategy.

Depending upon what I'm researching at the time, I'll either utilize the advanced search option on-site (hint: I get some of the best hits by searching for key words by 'title only' in all open forums), or else I'll use Google the same as toxicon does ^^^.

Whenever I run into any awesome gems of info important to my research, I copy/paste the url of the page (or the exact post) to a file in my documents and then type a brief explanation beside it so that I know what kind of info is contained therein.

Some folks on the forum are so knowledgeable and full of golden gems that I've had to create a separate file folder for them, such as my "DeeAnna file", for example. :mrgreen:

When I'm not on a research mission or fulfilling my Modmin duties, I like to click on "New Posts" at the top of the page and just read what current things everyone is up to and join in the conversation wherever I can or if time permits.

IrishLass :)

I use both the search option on here if I know it was a recent topic. If I am searching for everything on a certain subject, I use Google.

I also have a DeeAnna file on my computer, and an IrishLass one as well.

You can add me to that list. :smile: I also have an IrishLass and DeeAnna file which has saved my rear end and my soap on more than one occasion.

When I find a great nugget of info, I save it in my OneNote. I like OneNote because I can access it from all my devices, so if I find something neat at work, I have easy access to it at home too.

I've been looking for some good applications for One Note - i think this might be a good one!

thanks all for your answers!
I'll definitely get myself working using the tips you propose, and the first thing i do is create a DeeAnna and Irish Lass folder!!

Latest posts

Back