vetiver essential oil suggestions for supplier

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTAnton

Reaction score
I searched the archives unsuccessfully looking for a suggestion for a supplier of good vetiver essential oil. Seems Haitian and Indonesian are the 2 major sources for the oil, don't know if there's any dramatic difference. I've also seen light and dark listed as 2 different offerings from at least one supplier.
There seems to be a lot of variability in pricing, even among the respected suppliers. I also know in most cases you get what you pay for...
Any suggestions, gang?
Many thanks!!!

I third? Camden Grey. Their shipping runs a bit high for me and I rate their customer service as acceptable, but not ideal. However, their selection is good, quality excellent, prices reasonable, and anything under four(?) pounds can ship at an economy rate. It usually works out well for me when I only want a couple of things.

Some useful information to know about them:
- Don't assume that you will come out ahead on combined shipping if you want to throw oils and butters in your cart. Check it.
- If you have any questions or concerns regarding your order, they are reasonably quick to respond to email, but do not provide a phone number.
- Any documentation (MSDS/CoA, etc) has to be requested at the time the order is placed, as they will not do so retroactively.
- Economy shipping is suspended during any of their promotions, whether or not you avail yourself of the code.
- You can accrue rewards points through your purchases and reviews, but will not be able to collect them during any promotion.

I have not ordered from New Directions yet, but was contemplating doing so. They have a $100 minimum, but have a few things that I was having trouble finding elsewhere. I have found a number of favorable reviews, but have no first-hand knowledge.

CTAnton, I LOVE Vetiver EO!!! It's one of the EO's that I'm never without :)
But it is pricey, and you are totally correct in that you get what you pay for. I've tried buying from places like Amazon when they have a good deal for Prime members, but it's always been too good to be true...
And I have no clue what 'light' Vetiver EO is supposed to be? In my experience, high quality Vetiver EO usually comes from Haiti and is dark brown and VERY thick and viscous. I've been happy with my Vetiver from Bulk Apothocary, but it looks like Camden Gray has 'dark' Vetiver for $10 less. Might be worth checking out.

thank you all for your responses...now its simply waiting for the suggested suppliers to have a sale.....

thank you all for your responses...now its simply waiting for the suggested suppliers to have a sale.....

Don't wait for camden grey to have a sale! Their economy shipping is pricey (think it has been appx 13 bucks), but their express shipping is outrageous at, like, 19 or 20 bucks, somewhere around there. If you use a coupon code from a sale, you are forced to use their higher shipping. For people like me, a hobbiest, that's not worth the typical 5% off sale. Maybe if you're buying 100 plus dollars worth, but otherwise it is ridiculous.

I agree with makemineirish on the company practices and such. I use them for the low minimum purchase and their quality oils. I also have used bulk apothecary, but typically CG comes out cheaper when adding into shopping carts to compare. Not to mention 2 sales in a row, I watched BA increase their cost of patchouli during a sale (I had been watching it and literally saw the price increase!) to lower it afterwards. That was reason enough for me to stay with CG. I know, yes, eo prices fluctuate. Twice in a row seems too fishy to me.

Thank you so much for starting this thread! I have been shopping all the various places for vetiver, and was completely confused on who to trust, so I came here to make a thread. Only to find one with answers! Thanks again!

Well the only prob I had with vetiver eo (in a blend mind you) was the dark vetiver is so viscous and downright thick, once I used the pipette to measure to the nearest gram, it didn't register well on my scale. Most eos are ok @ .5 on fragrance ratio on soapcalc. Vetiver dark is heavy, like cedarwood, and I believe safe (in normal amounts unlike needing a light hand with clove or other irritants). So being a heavy smelling one, try .4 or so, but I am NO expert. Hopefully someone else will chime in. If you gather other eos, I can give a descent blend (at least soapmaker145 liked it lol).

Last edited:
Well the only prob I had with vetiver eo (in a blend mind you) was the dark vetiver is so viscous and downright thick, once I used the pipette to measure to the nearest gram, it didn't register well on my scale. Most eos are ok @ .5 on fragrance ratio on soapcalc. Vetiver dark is heavy, like cedarwood, and I believe safe (in normal amounts unlike needing a light hand with clove or other irritants). So being a heavy smelling one, try .4 or so, but I am NO expert. Hopefully someone else will chime in. If you gather other eos, I can give a descent blend (at least soapmaker145 liked it lol).

I am willing to buy any EO needed to go with it for a good scent for men. My hubby does not like any of the "fake piney" scents, and I am tired of the same blend time after time for him and the other men in the family. I am going to get sandalwood and allspice to make the Old Spice dupe for them, but I really need to expand my repertoire.

Latest posts

Back