Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glori

Reaction score
How about this proportions?
½ cup filtered water
¼ cup castile soap
2 tbsp. almond oil
1 level tsp. guar gum
15 drops of essential oil like lavender, lemongrass, lemon or orange (or any other scent you love). Found from an online site (http://www.dispenser.com/blog/organizedbath/diy-making-your-own-hand-soap/).

I am also new to soap making. I refer google and youtube for getting ideas and this is my first project. Can I go with this?

How about this proportions?
½ cup filtered water
¼ cup castile soap
2 tbsp. almond oil
1 level tsp. guar gum
15 drops of essential oil like lavender, lemongrass, lemon or orange (or any other scent you love). Found from an online site (http://www.dispenser.com/blog/organizedbath/diy-making-your-own-hand-soap/).

I am also new to soap making. I refer google and youtube for getting ideas and this is my first project. Can I go with this?

Glori, I would make a new thread to talk about your issue rather than side-track this one, especially as the recipes/goals are very different.

What is your goal here? I have never made a "recipe" like this - it looks like basically it is a rebatch with some weird additives - what is guar gum bringing to the soap?

Do you want to make soap from scratch, or do you just want to experiment with colors, scents and additives? Nothing wrong with either, but you will get VERY different advice!

It looks like the goal is a liquid hand soap, based on the link in her initial post.

Glori, I think what this recipe does is it takes store bought liquid Castile soap and first dilutes it with added water and additional oil, then thickens via the guar gum, and adds scent via the Essential Oil. I am not sure of the purpose of dilution and then rethickening other than to perhaps stretch your purchasing dollars. Although I don't think it would really save you that much money once you buy the Almond Oil, the Essential Oil and the Guar Gum.

But if you want to give it a try, go for it and see if you like it better than what you are using now. Or search the Liquid Soap forum here for more tutorials on how to make LS from scratch. You might find something you want to try.

Latest posts

Back