Dealing With Fast Moving Fragrance Oils/Essential Oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapSap

Reaction score
It is reasonable to assume if I use a Cold Process formula that is very slow to trace, and select a FO, or EO that tends to accelerate trace, the acceleration caused by these scents will be less? Or, does one have no effect on the other?

I frequently have acceleration problems from the FO or EO, resulting in having to re-batch.

I usually soap cool, add my FO/EO to my oils and don't plan anything fancy and move fast. But I have found soaping cool and adding it to my oils and just mix to emulsion works.

Yes, that's a reasonable assumption. There are things you can do to combat a fast-tracing or seizing FO or EO - use a slow tracing recipe, use full water, soap cooler. However, some FOs and EOs will just plow right through all of that. I've got a Mulled Apple Cider that I just adore but it must be hot processed. Nothing else works. Though I haven't tried 100% olive oil.

However, some FOs and EOs will just plow right through all of that. I've got a Mulled Apple Cider that I just adore but it must be hot processed. Nothing else works. Though I haven't tried 100% olive oil.

True that! Sometimes we all run across certain ornery scents that just won't behave unless you hold their feet to the fire! lol

One other trick to add to the advice in the above posts: If your feisty FO is a strong-smelling one that lasts forever and a day in your finished soap, use less of it to help slow things down. You might have to play with how much less of it to use to find that 'sweet spot' where it behaves nicely and the scent still sticks in your soap, but it can be done.

IrishLass :)

Back