A picture of ricing, volcanos, separating, overheating

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys! Luckily I have never experienced anything that bad so far :)

I have just had some tiny glycerin rivers when mixing some part with Titanium dioxide - I seem not to be ale able to mix it well... Or does it happen with it often? I've seen it elsewhere too

OH, I have just read that on Soap Queen :) funny, I didnt know that, but yes, it's happening for me always with Titanium dioxide :) anyway, i dont mind the rivers, so will try to use it my next soap :) http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-b.../river-runs-deep-explanation-glycerin-rivers/

OH, I have just read that on Soap Queen :) funny, I didnt know that, but yes, it's happening for me always with Titanium dioxide :) anyway, i dont mind the rivers, so will try to use it my next soap :) http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-b.../river-runs-deep-explanation-glycerin-rivers/

I found that mine were mostly caused by overheating or uneven heating. I found this blog post to be really helpful in avoiding the glycerin rivers:

http://auntieclaras.com/2014/05/glycerine-rivers-secret-revealed/

Thx all for those beautiful pics , and all the info you all provide.
I'm new to soap making , I my self love the HP , I started about 4 months ago and I made almost 10 patch or 15 kg of different kinds of soap some of them with herbal additives.

Re: Volcanoes Had that happen to melast Mo. I put a top on it (plastic or saran wrap and a board on top) clamped it and let it sit over night. turned out OK.

Started making CP aboutique a month ago. Had my first disaster...my batch seized went right to thick trace after adding fragrance...so disappointed...

Just a reminder, please do not post questions or answer questions in this thread. Please only post quality pictures or videos of a soaping issue or situation with an explanation of what it is - the purpose is that people can see what ricing etc looks like for future reference.

If you have a soaping issue and would like to know what it is, please start a new thread.

Thank you so much for posting all these photos! It's very helpful for us beginners! I have a slightly different problem but I see I'm not supposed to post a question here so will try to find another thread to show a photo of my first ever batch and the problem I had with it. Thanks for all this great info!

Just a reminder, please do not post questions or answer questions in this thread. Please only post quality pictures or videos of a soaping issue or situation with an explanation of what it is - the purpose is that people can see what ricing etc looks like for future reference.

If you have a soaping issue and would like to know what it is, please start a new thread.

Just re-posting the good Gent's excellent reminder. If you have a question or comment, please start a new thread with a link back to this thread as a reference. Thank you. :)

IrishLass :)

I thought this could be helpful to people, to see what these things looks like.

Ricing, then 2 volcanos, then 2 separating in the mold, and one crack from overheating.

I have seen these pictures. In my case it is the fragrance oils that are unsuited for cold process method. Perhaps the oils and lye should be in lower temperature, so that the fragrance oils do now cause this effect.

In general, even without the fragrance oils one could get that if ois and lye are in high temperature.

Can be fixed by water reduction

My most common unintended result has been brains, and I've always pretended that it was a design choice......yeah, it's supposed to look like that. LOL The only thing I could find was another example of glycerine rivers, which often end up looking rather pretty.

That can be avoided by doing a water reduction, I read on a blog called Auntie Clara. She did some testing, and it was the high water content that made glycerin rivers. With a high water reduction, they disappered completely.

Back