FO's are confusing in CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PippiL

Reaction score
I made a soap with NG apple peel jack, the moment it hit the oils it turned into grits pudding.I used three colors and it was hard to get it all together.
After I was done I read up on it, and of course I realized I should read up on FO's before I make a soap.It said, it seperates in CP , but great in HP soap.And 1 % FO per#, not 5 % as I used....
The soap turned out great, no seperation, the smell is normal and fading a little, doesn't burn at all....
So should we always listen to what the supplier recommends or can we just do our own thing afterall?
What do you do ???

I tend to be forgetful so I write the "special" information on a sticky note and tape it onto the bottle along with the flashpoint in red. This way I know what to expect if I decide to try something that might give me expected, and not so expected, results. But no, I don't always stick to what the what they suggest. I'm just prepared :) If you don't push the limits or experiment you might not make that amazing find!

I don't usually use the % for FO/EO to lbs unless I'm looking to use one that is a sensitiser. I use 1/2-1tsp FO and 1/2-1Tbsp EO per pound. I do a sniff test before I pour into molds so I can make sure you can actually smell it. And I've learned that only smelling a hint of scent in the mold doesn't mean diddly once you can cut it. :D

start with your general knowledge - florals and spices can be tricky or even impossible to CP.
read the supplier's site to see if they've said anything
read the scent review board to see if anything is there
ALWAYS do a test batch if you are trying a new FO, regardless of what you read.

also, note that many FOs have recently been reformulated for a variety of reasons (price, IFRA "restrictions", that phthalates thing) so the "history" of an FO may not be relevant...

The scent review board sees to be spot on most of the time. I would go with their info rather than suppliers, after all they are not trying to sell the product and have tried it first hand.

I just got close to 30 new FO from a new supplier, none of them were reviewed, so I made a batch and poured a small amount into mini disposable cups i had brought, and added a few drops of each FO to that. It gave me a rough idea of what riced, what siezed and what didnt. it also gave me an idea of what to expect re colour and wheather the FO morphed.

If you are looking for a good apple jack, Sweet Cakes doesnt accelerate and smells awesome (very strong), but ashes, over and over - worth it though

Back