Using Vanilla Absolute

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BayBoy

Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience with using vanilla absolute? I find that it's difficult to control proportions because it is so thick.

I have a 1/16 oz bottle. Would it make sense to dilute it for use in my EO blends? And if so, dilute with water? Alcohol?

Cheers!

If I had a 1/16th bottle of vanilla absolute I would add it to an ounce or two of Bramble Berry's Vanilla Select FO. It is said to be the best Vanilla FO according to what I've read and I'm finding that mixing FOs with EOs seems to bring the best of both worlds to blends I'm working on. Here's a link to BB:

http://www.brambleberry.com

Zany's way will give FO an extra punch of vanilla. Or you can dilute it as is with carrier oils like jojoba ( expensive but indefinite shelf life ) or light smelling carrier ( meadowfoam , sweet almond or sunflower).
EO won't disperse well in water, and for soap you don't want to dilute it with alcohol.
ETA: if you are sure you will only use it for bay rum blends, then alcohol is fine. But if there's a chance you want it in other usages then aftershave, then carrier oil it is. ;)

Last edited:
Zany's way will give FO an extra punch of vanilla. Or you can dilute it with carrier oils like jojoba ( expensive but indefinite shelf life ) or light smelling carrier ( meadowfoam , sweet almond or sunflower).
EO won't disperse well in water, and for soap you don't want to dilute it with alcohol.
ETA: if you are sure you will only use it for bay rum blends, then alcohol is fine. But if there's a chance you want it in other usages then aftershave, then carrier oil it is.
^^^^^ Ditto. Well said, Cherry. :thumbup:

Back