How to fix the calculation please?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madison

Reaction score
I have mixed my oils I to make a batch of soap and rememberd that I am not sure whether I am using a tallow beef or tallow sheep, the label is not there, I made my calculations to use tallow beef. What should I do? I didn't mix the lye yet.
Thank you.

I would use the one with the lowest SAP. This would lead to a bit more superfat is it was actually beef - so you might drop your SF by 1 % or so.

I would use the one with the lowest SAP. This would lead to a bit more superfat is it was actually beef - so you might drop your SF by 1 % or so.

I am already using 2% SF, so I take SAP 0.138 which is for tallow sheep. Ok, I'll recalculate, thank you

I recalculated my recipe, I ended up with cleansing number 18, look like the tallow sheep has higher cleansing number than tallow beef. I think I need to up th SF.

I recalculated my recipe, I ended up with cleansing number 18, look like the tallow sheep has higher cleansing number than tallow beef. I think I need to up th SF.

Don't put too much faith into those numbers. They are a rough guideline - but I also don't think upping the SF a bit is that bad of an idea.

Latest posts

Back