Sunflower oil question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acesoapmaker

Reaction score
Hi I'm a newbie - sorry folks! Can anyone tell me if I can use any sunflower oil in my recipes - i.e. from the supermarket Lidl for instance? I thought I'd bought some when I last ordered soap supplies and found I hadn't. Grrrr. I wonder if I need higher monunsaturates than polynsaturates. The bottle I have in my food cupboard is showing (per 100ml) Mono-unsaturates 27.0g/Polyunsaturates 55.0g.
The oil content of the recipe I'm trying to use is a faster trace one - 120g castor oil, 120g coconut oil, 80g shea butter and 80g sunflower oil. Has anyone used supermarket grade in their recipes please?
Help appreciated! Thanks.

As long as it is 100% oil (check the ingredients to make sure it is not a blend) you sure can. That is a lot of Castor Oil though.

Oh thanks! I made this recipe in training and it came out well but we had sunflower oil from the soap suppliers. I wonder how it varies to what you buy in the supermarket.
Maybe the recipes used on courses are skewed towards cheaper ingredients as 4 of them were high in castor oil........ :(

Kchaystack thanks so much. I thought as much. Luckily I didn't go ahead with it so you've saved me wasting my ingredients. I got as far as very gently melting down the hard oils but I've left them in the pan so I guess it won't hurt if I gently re-melt them again tomorrow when I get the correct sunflower oil. I'll have a look in the health store. x

Back