What causes that sting or "bracing" feeling in aftershave?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BayBoy

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm making my own aftershave. My recipe is basically this:

- 2 ounces witch hazel
- 2 ounces distilled water
- 10 drops of my personal EO blend

The aroma is great, but I'm not feeling that bracing sting that other products provide.

I use a commercial aftershave with the same basic ratio of ingredients, and I do get a nice sting. The commercial product does list alcohol separately as an ingredient. But when I contacted the manufacturer, they said the only alcohol is what's in the witch hazel.

Sooo... just thought someone here might have some thoughts to share.

Any suggestions?

Both my hubby and son like that bracing/stinging feel, too. For what it's worth, below is the formula that I make for them, which they both love. They say it has just the right amount of sting for them.

Feel free to use it 'as-is' or as a springboard to help formulate your own:

-85 grams 190 Proof Everclear

-34 grams aloe vera juice (a brand called 'George's' from my health-food store)

-26 grams witch hazel (Dickensen's brand, which contains 14% grain alcohol)

-21 grams SD 70 alcohol (I'd use all Everclear as my main alcohol, but for whatever reason hubby & son like having a little bit of that unique/particular SD alcohol scent in their aftershave, so that's why I have 2 different alcohols in my formula (actually 3 alcohols, if you also include the alcohol in my witch hazel).

-5 grams vegetable glycerin

-1% fragrance per the total grams of the above ingredients

For what it's worth, my aftershave contains a total of roughly 57.42% alcohol by volume, which is plenty enough to make it self-preserving.

As an aside, my hubby says he's is very skeptical of what that commercial manufacturer told you as pertaining to how much alcohol they include their product. His opinion is based on his experiences of having used only witch hazel (containing 14% alcohol) as an emergency aftershave a few times when he's run out of his normal aftershave.

IrishLass :)

Also, with products like this, the alcohol is acting as a preservative as well as "bracing" one up. ;) You want a minimum of 20% alcohol by weight to self-preserve.

Hi,

I'm making my own aftershave. My recipe is basically this:

- 2 ounces witch hazel
- 2 ounces distilled water
- 10 drops of my personal EO blend

The aroma is great, but I'm not feeling that bracing sting that other products provide.

I use a commercial aftershave with the same basic ratio of ingredients, and I do get a nice sting. The commercial product does list alcohol separately as an ingredient. But when I contacted the manufacturer, they said the only alcohol is what's in the witch hazel.

Sooo... just thought someone here might have some thoughts to share.

Any suggestions?

That "bracing" feeling is the splash of alcohol on any micro cuts and cuts in the skin after shaving. There are a few camps on the use of alcohol. Some love the feeling and that antiseptic rush, others find alcohol too drying and specifically avoid alcohol - preferring to follow with a cool towel or an alcohol-free blend.

Like most things in this world, it's all a matter of preference.

I use ingredients very similar to IL. Though I use witch hazel in mine instead if ever clear. I use it as a toner and my husband uses it as a aftershave.

Back