Liquid on top of paste

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candybee

Reaction score
I just made a batch of LS about a couple of hours ago. It had already turned to paste and tested clear with the phenalthalein (sp?). I noticed a tiny bit of liquid, maybe 1/2oz in a tiny 1" puddle on top of the soap.

The soap is not seperated. It went through all the stages beautifully and stayed creamy during the flying bubbles stage. So I turned off the heat and let it set. Came back after a couple hours and found this teeny tiny puddle?!!

What is it? I made the soap in my crockpot so could it just be condensation dropped onto this one area? Is it part of the liquid? It tested clear so I dunno.

Anyone seen this before?

The condensation falls from the lid, it either collects in a small depression, or runs off to form a small rim around the edge. The only way to avoid it is to remove the lid before allowing it to sit. I think this is unnecessary, as I am about to add dilution water to it, anyway.

Thank you. When I first saw it my gut was saying oh no! it's lye on top! So glad to know its just condensation. After I tested that was the only thing that made sense to me. Just never seen it puddle like that before.

Back