does beef tallow is smelly in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunny_

Reaction score
I want to render beef tallow to use in soap- from your experience with tallow- at what % the soap will start smelling "beefy"? 45-50%? where I live it's impossible to find lard, and palm is pretty expensive, so for me- tallow it is (I guess?)

thanks!

I have had some tallow that had a "beefy" smell out of the packet and when melted but never had the smell carry over to the soap. Even unscented soap just smelt like soap. Usage rate was either 75 or80% I cant remember.

I agree with the others. I used to make soap with tallow in it. I rendered my own. I always put some water in the roaster along with the ground up beef tallow and did it in a slow oven. When it was rendered and cooled, the pure white fat was on top and the tiny meat scraps, etc. were down in the water. It was easy to pick out the chunk of fat and rinse off the impurities with cold water leaving you with pure white fat. If there are any meat scraps in it that would make it smell in time.

I love beef tallow. I render my own. The fat i get is from grass fed cows. and it all the tallow from the kidney of the cow.

when i render this, I am in absolute aww. that it smell like MILK..
I have rendered Tallow plenty times but only from the Cow kidney fat. :)

I LOVE TALLOW BARS.. VERY HARD AND WONDERFUL

Back