Adding citric acid to dual lye shaving soap recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatrickH

The Perfectionist
Reaction score
Going to make a 40%N60%K shaving soap and I'm going to be adding Citric Acid at 1.5%.
Does anyone have the gram numbers for NaOH and KOH 90% for 1 gram of Citric Acid.

I would add a enough NaOH to neutralize the citric acid without worrying about the KOH. If you are adding it all to the solution I was add water, then citric acid. Enough NaOH to neutralize the citric plus the recipe amount, then the KOH. Easier math.

Edit:
Or were you asking for something more like this? I use this formula when I calculate my NaOH

Awesome, thank you.
Much easier math. My head was smoking just thinking about it and didn't even know the numbers yet.

I'll have to look at that link when I get on a computer, it doesn't seem to be mobile friendly.

I seen numbers posted for Sodium Hydroxide , but not seeing any for Potassium Hydroxide in 1 grams.

I'm slightly confused now. My understanding was that you're making a dual lye shaving soap with citric acid as your chelator. Are you asking how to neutralize your citric acid twice or do you want to neutralize the citric acid with the KOH instead of the NaOH?

Since its dual lye, I was wanting to know the numbers i need for NaOH and KOH for each gram of citric acid.
Was going to calculate with the % difference of each type of Hydroxide.
But if it's not that big of a deal, I would rather just calculate for 1 type of Lye to get the ammount of extra lye I need.

I was given this information from a person in a Facebook group who helped me out with the numbers.
Posting this here for future reference.

KOH - 0.875 grams of KOH per gram of Citric Acid.
NaOH - 0.625 grams of NaOH per gram of Citric Acid.

I was given this information from a person in a Facebook group who helped me out with the numbers.
Posting this here for future reference.

KOH - 0.875 grams of KOH per gram of Citric Acid.
NaOH - 0.625 grams of NaOH per gram of Citric Acid.

Those numbers are close but not exactly the same as DeeAnna's.
Negligible difference but I still think it is worth reading her explanation in the links above.

You don't need to neutralise the KOH in a dual lye soap recipe. The amount is negligible.

It's just good to know the numbers just to know what they are even if only calculating for NaOH.

Latest posts

Back