Blends for migraines and anxiety?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently saw peppermint suggested for migraines. Haven't tried it yet. When I get migraines I try to avoid any scent & light.

I don't do a lot with EOs, but I know that migraines always make me want good old fashioned vicks. Part of it is for actual physical relief, but I know part of it is psychosomatic: my dear grandmother always used it to take care of us, so I have good associations with it. Translating that to aromatherapy, I guess that would be peppermint and eucalyptus for starters.

I don't know about anxiety, though. I think anything that has calm, comforting connections for you. I associate lavender with my babies, so that would be calming to me. Grandmother's house smelled like cedar, so that would work for me, too. Also, crayons and books, but I don't think there's an EO for that.

I think it's personal and what appeals to you.

For headaches/migraines, I like a blend of 2 peppermint, 2 lavender, 1 eucalyptus, and 1 rosemary.

For anxiety, I like any mix of lavender, vetiver, sandalwood, cedarwood, and/or frankincense. Vetiver, especially, relaxes me.

I think Cellador is correct in what is appealing for the individual.

Personally lavender GIVES me a migraine, so I can only be around that scent in very small doses, and only make this scent of soap once or twice a year, and enough to get me through the busy season because I know after I make it I'll be in bed warding off the migraine.

I too get migraines from lavender.

I have heard peppermint is good for them, but haven't tried it. I have spearmint growing wild in my yard and have tried that. It did seem to help a tiny bit, but not really enough to make a big difference.

ANTI-ANXIETY, DEPRESSION, MENTAL LIFT #1:
8 clary sage,
4 rosemary,
4 Peru Balsam,
2 cedarwood Virginia

ANTI-ANXIETY, DEPRESSION, MENTAL LIFT #2:
3 Geranium, Rose
3 Sage, Clary
2 Lavender 40/42
1 Bergamot

From Rainbow Meadow
ROMAN HOLIDAY
Air or Aroma Spritz, Bath, Linen Spritz, Soap, Headache, Migraine
1 Eucalyptus, Blue Gum
1 Lemongrass
1 Peppermint
1 Rosemary
1 Tea Tree
2 Orange, Sweet
2 Rosewood
4 Lavender 40/42

Also:
1 Marjoram, Sweet
1 Basil, Sweet
1 Chamomile, German

ZANY'S SINUS BLEND (Better than Vicks)
56 grams Camphor, White EO
15 grams Eucalyptus EO
29 grams Menthol Crystals
100 grams TOTAL

Ohmygosh peppermint works for migraines!! Had a bad one today, headed to the bathroom to puke and grabbed a bottle of peppermint EO on the way. Sniffed it and didn't puke. Put a drop on a paper towel and fanned it in front of my nose off and on for for a couple hours, and it was gradual, but after about 2 hrs (guessing - didn't look at a clock) I felt completely, totally, 100% better!! That is FAST!

I'll report back if it works on me again and I'll try to time it. I'll even look up how to use it properly ;) Sometimes Excedrin can keep a migraine at bay for me and sometimes it can't, so I don't know if this will work every time, if it depends on what triggers the migraine, or if the amazingly swift and total recovery was partly placebo. If the placebo effect works that well I'm equally pleased and happy to be duped :)

Try it!

Last edited:
I say look into your diet to get a handle on migraines. Mine are triggered by soy so I limited my intake to soy sauce and occasions frozen meals and ramen packets. A lot of migraines can be triggered by what you eat and or drink so eliminating the more common triggers (soy, onions, wine, etc) may actually be a better help.

I say all this only because of my own experience and mild research. I refuse to be on meds all the time and it's been hard to see a neurologist where I used to live. Also, when I get migraines, I hate to smell ANYTHING that isn't garlicky savory food, and prefer to hide in the comfort of my blankets.

I say look into your diet to get a handle on migraines.
Also, when I get migraines, I hate to smell ANYTHING that isn't garlicky savory food, and prefer to hide in the comfort of my blankets.

I agree with this -
Mine are triggered by my cycle and by sodium. Now that I'm older the cycle doesn't play as big of a part as it did when I was a teen and young adult, I would get all the time.
I've also learned to keep to a very low sodium diet.
It's rare I get them these days only a few times a year, but when I do, I need to basically go into sensory deprivation mode - no scents of ANY kind, no light, no noise, can't eat or drink, and only a fuzzy blanket on me, and sometimes even that is too much.

No scents help my migraines, but Spearmint helps my daughter with her seizures and migraines.

I'm with you, nothing but time, sleep and the occasional being physically sick will help mine. It's horrible.

I no longer get full blown migraines like I did for years but now I get Optic migraines and they are even worse. While not much pain with them the loss of vision in one or both eyes is horrible, usually 1 eye. It really hinders driving when I am in a cycle of Optic which is happening a lot now. I think it may be the stress of care-taking. The years I had full blown, I could only go to bed, close the curtains and no sound. Was a bit difficult when I had a 1yr old and a 4yr old. Mine were sleep related, if I did not get 6 hr sleep min I would have a migraine the next day. Horrible things...

Ohmygosh peppermint works for migraines!! ... I'll even look up how to use it properly ;)
That is such good news! I can't imagine having to go through that. My heart goes out to all of you.

To use peppermint EO properly, Try 1% in oil in a roller ball glass container. You could daub it on your wrists and temples. I betcha that would work. Where are you? If you don't have a roller ball handy, I have plenty to share. PM me if you want one. :)

Thanks Zany! I have a bottle I can use, and it will go everywhere with me from here on out! I really am amazed, I hope it works again. I'll do a little research after supper to find out what's going on with this peppermint trick.

I agree with this -
Mine are triggered by my cycle and by sodium. Now that I'm older the cycle doesn't play as big of a part as it did when I was a teen and young adult, I would get all the time.
I've also learned to keep to a very low sodium diet.
It's rare I get them these days only a few times a year, but when I do, I need to basically go into sensory deprivation mode - no scents of ANY kind, no light, no noise, can't eat or drink, and only a fuzzy blanket on me, and sometimes even that is too much.

I'm with you, nothing but time, sleep and the occasional being physically sick will help mine. It's horrible.

That's my go to as well. I'm allergic to amines, salicylates and other things. Peppermint and lots of other EOs so that would send me into a nose dive.

I guess it's like eczema - everyone (person and headache) is different.

I lost somehow my migraines when i stopped working in Dental laboratory. When I had it, I had to have silence, dark and I'd had hid under the comforter, No scent no noise no light...
penelopejane, welcome to the club, I also have the same allergies as you, add to it mites, pollen, bee sting and carry epi pen in my purse all the time
I am kind of worry when I work with eo they do cause allergies

I am kind of worry when I work with eo they do cause allergies

Yes it is scary.
Someone gave me a soap with peppermint EO and peppermint tea - I couldn't breath in the shower. It wasn't just the scent - it transferred through my skin because I could feel the tingling. Scary.

It is kind of nice that I am not alone in this. Sending you all my blessings. I know how tough it is.

Last edited:
this is a reason I do not use Essential oils in soap. No way, I found FO in low quantities are better for me. The craziness with essential oils does cause a lot of allergies. Peppermint is not good in soap that's for sure.....

An article about peppermint for migraines. Looks like it was copied or bought from the Wall Street Journal - couldn't read it on that site, but it's one of the few articles I've found which doesn't end in advertisements for DoTerra/ Young etc.

http://www.nadiraorganics.com/nadir...5/11/3/can-mint-make-migraines-less-miserable

Also found some precautions: not for children or pregnant/nursing women, don't use if on cyclosporine or medications for diabetes or high blood pressure

Https://migraine.com/migraine-treatment/natural-remedies/peppermint-oil/

The poll results so far from migraine.com :

Was peppermint oil effective in relieving your migraine symptoms?

Reduced symptoms significantly (36% | 781 Votes)
Slightly eased symptoms (30% | 651 Votes)
Cut symptoms in half (16% | 355 Votes)
Not at all (10% | 212 Votes)
Eliminated all symptoms (9% | 192 Votes)
2,191 total votes. Thanks for voting.

How would you rate the side effects you experienced with peppermint oil?

No side effects (76% | 1,196 Votes)
Slight discomfort from side effects (17% | 270 Votes)
Noticeable side effects (3% | 46 Votes)
Will not use due to side effects (3% | 42 Votes)
Side effects will limit my use (2% | 27 Votes)
1,581 total votes. Thanks for voting.

Back