Hmmm.. What to do??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuddinAndPeanuts

Reaction score
My body butter is 1/4 liquid fat to 3/4 solid fat. Just finished a big batch, and I have absolutely NO idea if I added the liquid fat. (They are added at different times). I'm sitting here looking at it, feeling it. Does it seem heavier? Greasier? Less loose? Is there less of it? Maybe? I make a ton of this stuff, and I'm just not sure. Can't tell if I'm seeing real differences or if it's just my imagination. I'd say I'm about 60% sure I left it out. What the heck do I do with this stuff? Can't use it myself- I absolutely hate this scent! Really don't want to toss 6-8 cups of butters (and maybe oils). I'm tempted to label it and sell it as usual since even I can't really tell the difference, but that seems kind of sketchy. Ugh!

weigh it, that should give you your answer!

This makes sense, because if the weight of the mix only adds up to the total sum of solid fat instead of both the liquid and the solid, then you'll know for sure that you've left out the liquid fat.

The problem is I'm not entirely sure what it should weigh. I do my soap by weight, but I do my body butter and sugar scrub by measurement, and I don't know what it would measure as a finished, whipped batch. As for letting it set up and seeing if it's harder than usual, I did, and I'm still scratching my head in puzzlement! I think maybe, it might seem a little bit harder than usual, but again, could just be my imagination! So frustrated! May have to trash the whole batch.:thumbdown:

Could you start another batch and weigh the measured body butter and sugar scrub? Then, if you add the weight of your oil, you'd know how much the final batch should weigh!

It won't weigh less just because it's whipped, so you can weigh your ingredients, and use those numbers to figure out if the oil is in, without having to make another batch. (Keep notes on the weight of the ingredients, it can be really useful to have a ballpark idea of what the weights are, even if you measure by volume for this product)

Okay, so add in some more oil whip it again and label it as usual. If it turns out to soft add in some more butter. Why would you even consider tossing so much good butter? It could always be used in soap. I am not a believer in tossing out good ingredients.

I would still suggest you measure first and see if it is obvious whether you did or not.....I guess it depends how forgiving the butter is towards extra oil, but my concern would be that you could end up with a huge batch of mediocre butter if you just start adding extra.

Could you use it for soap if you weren't sure of the composition of it? I would have thought it was even less forgiving for that use?

If it were me I would try any of those suggestions, BUT , I wouldn't sell it if you don't know what ingredients are in it. That could be misbranding.

Latest posts

Back