Hmmm to cp or to hp that is the ????

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lch/soaps

Reaction score
I was wondering what you think.I love to HP because iI can use the soap right away,The delima is I only feel comfortable making a 2lb batch of soap at a time.I just Cp'd a 4lb batch and even though it made beautiful bars...I hate the wait.I dont wanna use my oven.Are there any other options to HP.I cant find a crock pot that is big enough.....

Lol,on a funny note,I bought some cocoa butter and forgot to take it out of my car and it melted in the cupholder,it doesnt smell too bad... :wink:

It can be done in a pot directily on the stove burner. However, with this method, you really cant walk away from it for very long without risking burning the soap. I've done this HP method a lot and I never burned the soap though... I just take car to keep folding the soap every now and then so the same stuff doesn't stay on the bottom the whole time... and I keep the burner on low, low-med; if I turn it up, its only in short bursts while I'm standing there. Theres also another method that involves a double boiler. A special double boiler pot isn't even necessary. All you need is a bigger pot, put 3 empty tuna cans in the bottom (to elevate the smaller pot the soap is in) and voila, double boiler. You ony really need a couple inches of water. I've even hp-ed with steam; the top pot was the same size as the pot with the water, and made to sit on top of it, so all the heat hitting the bottom of the soap pot was just steam.

Are you asking about HP for a 2# batch or a 4# batch? My regular crockpot holds 2 lbs of oils easily with a bit of room to spare, and a larger 6 quart crockpot should be able to manage 4 lbs. no problem. You can get them at walmart pretty cheap, even less at a thrift store or garage sale. If you don't want to use your oven, then the best bet is going to be the double boiler on the stove top.

I am wanting to make a 4 lb batch in crock pot .what size pot would i need?i dont want a boil over

I would think something like this should do the trick

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crock-Pot-7-Q ... r/10992850

be careful, only fill about halfway, keep a close watch on it of course, until you know how the pot and the soap behave together. HTH

eta: just saw that particular one is "not available at this time" but something along those lines...

one gallon of water weighs 8.5 lbs. Look for at least a 4qt size crock pot for 4lb total weight batch That would fill it up about halfway or a little more b/c oil is lighter by volume than water.

sudbubblez said:
one gallon of water weighs 8.5 lbs. Look for at least a 4qt size crock pot for 4lb total weight batch That would fill it up about halfway or a little more b/c oil is lighter by volume than water.

That is not my experience, my 4 qt crockpot will not hold more than 2 1/2 lbs of oils while safely allowing room for expansion during the cook. I had one near miss with that amount, the soap batter was beginning to lift the lid off when I got to it and stirred it back down. JM2C

Back