Liners?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adoptapitbull

Reaction score
As much as I said I would never have a mold that requires a liner, I think I am giving in...

Do you line wooden molds with freezer paper? Is it similar to wax paper, or is it something different? I've never actually seen "freezer paper" in the store, so I'm a bit clueless as to what it is exactly.

I line my plastic molds with freezer paper and yes, it's different and waaaay better in my opinion! I can only find it at one store near me, you kinda have to hunt around for it but it's worth it!

Freezer paper is coated with plastic on one side (that is the side that goes against your soap). It is NOT the same as waxed paper, but there is also plastic coated butcher paper which will work (if you can get it).

Renyolds is the only brand I've ever seen in grocery stores, etc. It's in the same aisle as the wraps, usually on the bottom shelf.

Okay, this helps me too! I am going to sneak in another questions. How do you line the corners so they don't leak?

I wipe a light layer of crisco all over the inside of my plastic mold
and then just line the main portion with freezer paper - but not the ends.
Magically, it doesn't leak all over. I guess the crisco seals it, and it comes out perfectly.

For lining a wooden mold, there are tutorials but I bet Carebear can answer you on that one!

I line my wooden molds with heat resistant quilter's Mylar. If you have a Joanne's Fabrics store nearby, you can find it there down the quilting aisle. I measured and cut it to fit my molds with one of those Fiskar's cutting tools used in scrapbooking. The measuring and cutting takes a little patience, but once you get it done, you never have to do it again since Mylar lasts practically forever. I think my liners are 3 years old or so now if I remember rightly, and they're still going strong.

Also- another cool way to line your wood molds if they are collapsable and not too, too big, and that will also leave a nice decorative impression on your soap at the same time, is to go to Michael's craft store down the cake tool aisle and buy a silicone fondant mat. I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Fondant-Im ... 390&sr=8-8

It comes in a 20" x 20" roll that I cut-to-size to fit the bottom and the 2 long sides of two of my collapsable 2 lb log molds and one 1 lb log mold to give just the outside borders/edges of my soap a pretty design. Since it's made of silicone, the liners just peel right off my soap easy-peasy without having to have 'greased' them first (I do 'grease' my Mylar with a little mineral oil, though).

IrishLass :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Aussie newbie soaper here...

I bought baking paper today from Coles, and it says it is silicon lined paper. Would that work?

I have bought freezer paper in the past to use to print stencils on shirts but it is expensive and only available online or at craft stores.

Sharna

nurse_75 said:
Aussie newbie soaper here...

I bought baking paper today from Coles, and it says it is silicon lined paper. Would that work?

I have bought freezer paper in the past to use to print stencils on shirts but it is expensive and only available online or at craft stores.

Sharna

Yes, that's what we use here. :wink:

Thanks. :wink: It's a job most of us don't like so I wait until I'm in the mood and I make spare liners for when I'm not in the mood. I re-use the same liner two or three times as well.

Lining the molds....

Hey Irish, I didn’t think there was anyone on the planet that used Mylar to line their molds but me….lol.
When I first heard about Mylar…(from someone on this form)...for lining my molds I had a hard time finding the stuff…in fact no luck at all until I remembered that the place I used to work, we used it to make engineering drawings…(yes…lol…I know that dates me..)..Anyway, I contacted a friend who still works there and low and behold he found some stored way back in a closet...They don’t use it any more so he cut me off about 10 feet. It came in 30” rolls. I was so jazzed. Your correct about how you can use this stuff over and over…I found though that after a while it helps to spray the inside of the mylar liner with a little Canola oil…just slightly. Do you use any other type of release agent when using Mylar?…
Jerry S

I use parchment paper, because freezer paper apparently doesn't exist i Italy, ad I live in the middle of nowhere so no craft stores to get mylar :(. parchment works fine, though, and it only takes me a couple of minutes to line the mold.

LadyM said:
Just out of curiosity, does Mylar retain any scent from batch to batch?

Miraculously, it doesn't. :)

Jerry said:
Hey Irish, I didn’t think there was anyone on the planet that used Mylar to line their molds but me….lol.
When I first heard about Mylar…(from someone on this form)...for lining my molds I had a hard time finding the stuff…in fact no luck at all until I remembered that the place I used to work, we used it to make engineering drawings…(yes…lol…I know that dates me..)..Anyway, I contacted a friend who still works there and low and behold he found some stored way back in a closet...They don’t use it any more so he cut me off about 10 feet. It came in 30” rolls. I was so jazzed. Your correct about how you can use this stuff over and over…I found though that after a while it helps to spray the inside of the mylar liner with a little Canola oil…just slightly. Do you use any other type of release agent when using Mylar?…
Jerry S

You are not alone ....muahahaha :) I found out about using Mylar for liners on another forum and decided to use it as a replacement for my 'Funky Foam' liners which were giving me occasional annoying craters on the surface of my soap. The soapers I saw using the Mylar had beautiful, smooth-as-glass, shiny surfaces on their soap and that sold me. I have not regretted my decision one iota. I love the stuff.

As for a type of release agent, I take a paper towel with a little mineral oil on it and 'grease' my liners with it. I've heard of others using silicone baking spray, but I haven't ever tried that (yet).

Bubbles Galore said:
Thanks. :wink: It's a job most of us don't like so I wait until I'm in the mood and I make spare liners for when I'm not in the mood. I re-use the same liner two or three times as well.

Out of interest do you clean at all between uses?

I have read of people using Contact (school book covering stuff) anyone had experience with that.

Bubbles Galore - THANK YOU!!! That makes so much sense now, you do a great job. That takes patience, I can see why you make them in advance. I have the original Sunnybrook Farm mold and can see this working great for it. :D

IrishLass - I wonder if the funky foam you are talking about is what I am using. I love it, I have never had any problems with it. I dont get a glassy finish on the sides, it does come out with a very, very slight texture, but I can take that off if I want when cleaning them up. Where did you get your foam, I would love one for my Sunnybrook Farm mold.

Soapy Gurl said:
IrishLass - I wonder if the funky foam you are talking about is what I am using. I love it, I have never had any problems with it. I dont get a glassy finish on the sides, it does come out with a very, very slight texture, but I can take that off if I want when cleaning them up. Where did you get your foam, I would love one for my Sunnybrook Farm mold.

My wooden molds came with a set of the funky foam liners, but I also bought some extra funky foam from Michael's Crafts for back-up liners. They're awesome when they work- most of the time my soap came out fine- but at other times the surface of my soap looked like the surface of the moon. :lol: I tried to troubleshoot and pinpoint why it was happening, but there was absolutely no rhyme or reason to it. Just when I thought I had figured it out, a new bout of craters would blow my theory to smithereens. After a while, it just started getting annoying, especially when some of the craters were so deep that I had to trim off more soap than I was willing to part with. I like the Mylar so much better because it gives me smooth, glassy, consistent results every time.

Crafty Rose said:
[quote="Bubbles Galore":161t5bma]Thanks. :wink: It's a job most of us don't like so I wait until I'm in the mood and I make spare liners for when I'm not in the mood. I re-use the same liner two or three times as well.

Out of interest do you clean at all between uses?

I have read of people using Contact (school book covering stuff) anyone had experience with that.[/quote:161t5bma]

I pick off dried bits of soap from the edges and only re-use if it's decent, sometimes you just can't re-use the same piece if you've ended up with a batch that oozes oil. :wink:

Don't forget you can make re-usable liners out of plain, white Corflute (Correx) and if you tape the corners with strong, waterproof tape each time, they won't leak. :wink:

Latest posts

Back