Lard + what?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyW

Reaction score
I picked up some lard today (I'm 31 years old and never bought lard before, weird) and Crisco and came home to see what I could find in the way of a recipe with what I have now (olive oil, lard, crisco, and canola that I cook with).

SoapCalc says a combo of olive oil, crisco and lard wouldn't have much, if any, bubble. Being as it is just a computer telling me this, I figured I'd ask real people who've worked with those fats before.

Should I make a batch with all 3, or just 2? I know I can do all lard of course, I'm more interested in messing around and mixing things up. What % should I look at for each?

I would see if you can get some coconut and some castor oil to go with those if you can find them. I found mine at the local Kroger store. They were selling off the castor oil for 1 dollar for a 4 oz. bottle (normally 5 dollars) and the coconut usually costs 5 dollars but I cannot remember how much was in the coconut. Sometimes I add about 10% or less of corn, soy or canola oil to the recipe to balance it out. I am thinking about cutting back my coconut so the cleansing is less than my normal 21-22 (on soap calc). Although my soap isn't drying, I think it would be more moisturizing if I did it that way. Good luck Amy!

Back