Pig Fat vs Lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summerblue

Reaction score
I have a question about pig fat.
Is it the same as lard or does it have to be rendered to become lard?
If it is not rendered and just plain pig fat straight off of the pig, is it still usable for making soap?
Thanks!

Lard is already rendered pig fat. I've never tried rendering myself, but from what I understand you take the fat from the pig, heat it to melt it down, strain off the impurities and then deodorize it in a baking soda or vinegar solution before using it in soap.

HTH!
IrishLass :)

Thank you IrishLass!

I was given a free bag of pig fat that is straight off of the pig! I didn't know if I could use it for soap or not. Now I think I'll hold off. Perhaps I'll try rendering myself. I've never used animal fat before but thought it would be nice to try and see how the soap turns out.

Thanks for your help!

I rendered elk fat recently. It wasn't that difficult. Helps if you can grind up your fat first or cut it in small chunks. I added some water, boiled the mess together with some vinegar and some mint (it smelled kind of gamey). Then strain the mixture through a cheesecloth, put it in a cold place and the fat will rise to the top. Take off the fat, throw out the liquid, and then do the whole thing again. I got a lovely disk of hard creamy white fat. Hubby the hunter loved it.

judymoody said:
I rendered elk fat recently. It wasn't that difficult. Helps if you can grind up your fat first or cut it in small chunks. I added some water, boiled the mess together with some vinegar and some mint (it smelled kind of gamey). Then strain the mixture through a cheesecloth, put it in a cold place and the fat will rise to the top. Take off the fat, throw out the liquid, and then do the whole thing again. I got a lovely disk of hard creamy white fat. Hubby the hunter loved it.

What will you use for the sap value? Just wondering how you figure that out.

Thanks for the instructions Judymoody! I'm going to give it a try when I get some spare time! It sounds very straightforward. I'll let you know how it turns out.

ToniD, according to SoapCalc the sap value for pig tallow is 0.141 so that is what I will work with.

Thanks everyone for your help! :D

Summerblue said:
Thanks for the instructions Judymoody! I'm going to give it a try when I get some spare time! It sounds very straightforward. I'll let you know how it turns out.

ToniD, according to SoapCalc the sap value for pig tallow is 0.141 so that is what I will work with.

Thanks everyone for your help! :D

Yes, Sorry I was not clear. I was actually asking about the elk tallow. I just wondered where you find numbers for unusual stuff that is not on the usual soap calcs. It sounded like something one of my soapmaking/hunting friends would be interested in.

Back