soap emergency

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eden

Reaction score
this recipe contained about 45% canola which was what I had on hand, and I figured a slow trace would give me time for swirling or such ...I am sure of my measurements - should I pour this all back into the pot & stir again ? ( I'll loose my lovely swirls but hopefully the soap will be fine ) It never reached a strong trace and I stired for 35 minutes

...I poured it 3 hours ago & just peeked - I have an oily layer on top ...do you think it will absorb back in or should I just throw it back in the pot & stir more then repour?? arg!

If you have a layer of oil on top then it sounds like you have separation and you need to pour it all back in the pot and HP it now..... I'm sorry this happened to you....

You don't have to HP it - if you mix until smooth with your stick blender and it's still pourable you can just stick to CP.

Depending on your mold, lining, and sense of adventure you can try stick blending right in the mold... I've done it successfully, but buyer beware.

thank you both so much for the input ...I want to report however that as I went back to my soap post 5-6 hours, ( I was ready to pour it back into the pot at this time) I found the oil layer had started to dissipate ...so I gave it 8 hours ...then overnight - I am very happy to say the oil layer has completely absorbed into the soap and this morning it looks beautiful! I'm thrilled, because the swirls are perfect and I really hated to sacrifice them! A learning experience ...I guess it never hurts to wait and watch a while before taking action. I truly appreciate the help ladies.

do you not have a stick blender? it would save you much time! I dont use canola, but I think it is prone to going racid? maybe use oo?

I've never had my canola oil soaps go rancid ...I supper-fat at 7.5%, maybe that's why ...I do use Olive Oil too ...just heavier on the canola (saves a little $ ) but I did use at about a 10% higher ratio this time because I was short handed on other oils - so I am sure that caused the MUCH longer trace , and the fact that it never was a good solid trace - I do have a stick blender ...somewhere! I have always hand stirred but this batch was exhausting!
I unmolded it a couple hours ago as I need my mold for another batch today ( which I will use more shea and less canola today ...I was trying to save on the shea butter yesterday and was short of olive oil) ... it was a bit sticky but came out of the mold fairly well & is hardening up nicely ...I'll give it a couple days before I cut.

Great news Eden! Congrats! I can't even imagine how long it would take to mix soap to trace by hand....yikes! I am way too addicted to my SB..... If I have a tricky FO then I'll SB to trace and then handstir after adding the fragrance to keep it from seizing.... but that's about it.... :?

Back