~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ August 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Recipe Feedback > Need some help identifying a soap issue

Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM   #51
lenarenee
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1964 Times on 999 Posts
Likes Given: 688

In terms of 20% co being considered "low"; That's really of a matter of opinion; to me that's a nice moderate amount and one I recommend to new soap makers. I never go over 20% any more, and most of my soap is 15% for me and my middle aged friends. Some people use 30%, with or without a large superfat.

When it comes to a dry tight feeling from a newly made bar of soap I blame that newness more often than the coconut oil and I'm usually right - but that's my skin and my recipe. In fact, I've got a 1 week old 40% co soap, and a 5 week old 40% co soap by the sink right now. The 1 week old is not usuable on my skin, whereas the older one I can use a couple times a day with no problem. Only time and experimentation will show you how yours works out.

Has anyone ever read from a reliable source if certain oils contribute to a higher alkalinity? I've always assumed that was the case, but some facts would be nice!

People Like This