Intersting additions to soap recipes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunny_

Reaction score
I am looking for interesting additions for my CP recipes- something to improve the feel of them and make them milder. I heard some people add yoghurt, some add aloe vera. any recommendations?

thanks!

Mildness is going to depend on the recipe. If you need help with that, post your current recipe and we can help tweak it so it's milder.

Personally, I love aloe vera juice in soap. I buy the big jug from Walmart, the kind that's made to drink. Use it in place of all your water.

It gives a nice boost to the lather, doesn't react with the lye and doesn't discolor the soap.

All sugars will give you more lather. This includes white sugar, brown sugar, honey, syrup, and beer (especially brown ones). Be aware that they may also cause trace faster and cause gel to your soap, depending the amount you put in. Beer should not have bubbles anymore. Eventually, it can be treated like milk before adding the lye, unless you want to have burnt caramel.

I also like to work with waxes, as they give a very nice feeling to the soap while hardening it. But as they require to work at higher temps to avoid false trace, so they may not suit intricate designs.

Salt is also pretty nice. It gives a characteristic smell that associates divinely with lavender EO.

I don't like botanicals like entire leaves in it, it's always so messy, plus they don't bring anything to the soap.

Argiles are also pretty nice as they have some cleaning properties, plus the colour. Especially the green one :)

Mildness is going to depend on the recipe. If you need help with that, post your current recipe and we can help tweak it so it's milder.

Personally, I love aloe vera juice in soap. I buy the big jug from Walmart, the kind that's made to drink. Use it in place of all your water.

It gives a nice boost to the lather, doesn't react with the lye and doesn't discolor the soap.
Obsidian do still add the chelator when you use Aloe vera juice?
Sugar?

All sugars will give you more lather. This includes white sugar, brown sugar, honey, syrup, and beer (especially brown ones). Be aware that they may also cause trace faster and cause gel to your soap, depending the amount you put in. Beer should not have bubbles anymore. Eventually, it can be treated like milk before adding the lye, unless you want to have burnt caramel.

I also like to work with waxes, as they give a very nice feeling to the soap while hardening it. But as they require to work at higher temps to avoid false trace, so they may not suit intricate designs.

Salt is also pretty nice. It gives a characteristic smell that associates divinely with lavender EO.

I don't like botanicals like entire leaves in it, it's always so messy, plus they don't bring anything to the soap.

Argiles are also pretty nice as they have some cleaning properties, plus the colour. Especially the green one :)
Argiles? I'm not familiar with that. Can you tell me what that is please?

What are argiles?

Sorry for the duplicate posts. I got a message each time that said my post failed.

It happens to the best of us. :p

OP, I like using clays as I'm one of those who does not have as bad a dry skin reaction as others may. Salt makes for a harder bar and sugar helps with bubbles. My favorite thing to add to soap is coffee. I don't color my soaps and I like how coffee soaps help with odors in general.

Clays give a nice gentle slip that imo helps with the mildness of the soap after it's cured.
I also like to add Sodium Lactate to every soap. It just gives the soap a nicer feel to me than when I didn't use it, and as an added bonus (and why I started using it in the first place) it helps my soap release from my silicone molds easier...

Latest posts

Back