~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ August 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Beginners Soap Making Forum > First Family Project for the fall

Old 09-14-2017, 11:09 AM   #11
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4512 Times on 3015 Posts
Likes Given: 3719

Welcome to the forum. You have been give some excellent advice above and I agree with keeping it simple. Leave the Argan out too expensive and really adds nothing to soap. Use it for leave on products. Dixiedragon's recipe is top notch I highly recommend trying it. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how good it its.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:26 PM   #12
dixiedragon

Liked 3632 Times on 2088 Posts
Likes Given: 1604

I forgot to address using milks!
Vegetable milks - almond, coconut, etc, are pretty easy to use. You can just straight replace them with water.
Animal milks are trickier and things can go wrong easily, so I don't recommend those for a first batch. IMO, though, you could easily substitute a veg milk for water in your first batch. Be sure to read the ingredients - for example, Vanilla Almond Milk has added sugar and flavor that may make things go awry.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #13
penelopejane

Liked 1709 Times on 997 Posts
Likes Given: 2568

The split method for using milk is to mix just over half the liquid amount as water with your sodium hydroxide then add the other half of the liquid as milk directly to your oils. There is no freezing involved and it prevents the milk being burnt. You can mix powdered milk with the milk to bring the total liquid percent up to 100% milk. I think you will find there is very little difference between a soap with milk and one without. Infact most of my tester who wanted milk soaps actually preferred those without in blind testing.

Dixie's soap makes a good hard bar. Instead of the coconut and some of the palm you could use 10% coconut and 20% Avocado and 10% cocoa butter for a more conditioning bar.

The annoying thing about soap is that something that suits my skin might not suit yours so it will be very difficult to come up with the perfect bar for you and your family the first few tries.