~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ August 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Beginners Soap Making Forum > Exercises to learn from

Old 09-13-2017, 08:21 PM   #21
SoapTrey
Soap Maker
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 80 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenDK View Post
Therefor I would love to learn soaping without relying on palm oil. Unless I am so lucky someone can tell me where to buy palm oil i Denmark?
Here's a link to a bunch of palm free soap recipes: http://www.soap-making-essentials.co...ap-recipe.html

Old 09-13-2017, 09:39 PM   #22
SoapTrey
Soap Maker
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 80 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 132

OK.... So I decided to do a simple 'exercise to learn from' as the topic of this thread suggests. I've never made a soap with a high amount of Palm Oil... and when I read Susie's recipe suggestion... I decided it was something I need to try.

I made it exactly according to her percentages and only added 1oz of Butter Mints FO I got as a freebie from BrambleBerry (btw - it smells pretty good) and a couple of mica colors. I'm really looking forward to trying it out after it's cured. Here are some pics... they turned out a bit fuzzy, so I may take some better ones.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2091 - Copy.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	25934   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2092 - Copy.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	25935  

Last edited by SoapTrey; 09-13-2017 at 10:25 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-14-2017, 03:35 PM   #23
KarenDK

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoapTrey View Post
OK.... So I decided to do a simple 'exercise to learn from' as the topic of this thread suggests. I've never made a soap with a high amount of Palm Oil... and when I read Susie's recipe suggestion... I decided it was something I need to try.
Thank you for sharing your experiment and your beautifull soap. I hope you will make an update in some weeks time and tell us, what you have learned.

I have made a couple of soaps since I started this tread. One among them is a 100% lard soap. It has all ready taught me, that a FO, that discolour yellow turns light pink into a colour I dislike.

The other is 98% lard and 2% bees wax. Honey is added for colour, as well as a cocoa line. I have all ready made a soap with the same additives and layout in a version where the fats stem from vegetable fats.

I look very much foreward to finding out, how big the difference between the soaps is, when the curetime is ower.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	25943  

Last edited by KarenDK; 09-14-2017 at 04:34 PM. Reason: To correct spellin mistakes
SoapTrey Likes This 
Old 09-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #24
KarenDK

And I still have to learn how to add multible fotos to a post
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	25944  
Zany_in_CO Likes This 
Old 09-14-2017, 05:09 PM   #25
dixiedragon

Liked 3632 Times on 2088 Posts
Likes Given: 1604

Go to your local health food stores and grocery stores and read the labels on the backs of the packages. We have a brand of shortening in the US called Spectrum that is palm oil.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #26
KarenDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedragon View Post
Go to your local health food stores and grocery stores and read the labels on the backs of the packages. We have a brand of shortening in the US called Spectrum that is palm oil.
That is not bad advice. I have tried it , and have only succeded in finding some different shortenings that is partially plam oil, and partially something else. I canīt see what percent is which fat, only how big a pecentage is water and the order of the ingredients. they also contains additives of different kinds.
I haw thaught about soaping with them, but dont feel secure i know hov to calculate the lye amount needed.