~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ August 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > mold liners

Old 09-12-2017, 05:06 PM   #11
jcandleattic

Liked 336 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmaker View Post
That's still a lot of soap! It's nice to hear how other people do...maybe yours is a better way to do. I guess the reason I got started the way I do is because I'm not fortunate enough to have a soap room. We have no basement either so I have to prep the kitchen before I make soap and then have it cleaned up and out of the way for cooking. I don't do shows, I don't have a website. Mine is a hobby business sold from the home by word of mouth and a little wholesale to local health food stores. The stores always want the same kind because of the programming and price stickers they use. I would be interested in your website if you care to give it.
That does make a difference. I started in my kitchen, but we finished our basement and now it's all mine! (well, mine and the laundry machines! LOL)

My website is SORELY out of date - I haven't had the time or ambition to update any of it, but you can take a look if you'd like.
Not sure what the rules are on sharing in posts, so I will message it to you.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:17 AM   #12
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 6821 Times on 3456 Posts
Likes Given: 4485

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmaker View Post
The other question I have is why do people use such small molds?
I'm not in business- I only make soap for my family, friends and myself. The usual size batches I make run anywhere between 1lb to 3lbs at any given soaping session (most are 2.8lbs), although for Christmas gifts I go bigger with a few 4lb batches of certain scents that a lot of my peeps really like. I'm like you- I'm short on space- my kitchen doubles as my soaping room as well as my cooking nook.

IrishLass

SunRiseArts Likes This 
Old 09-13-2017, 04:27 AM   #13
SunRiseArts

Liked 624 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 715

Here is the link. When I bought it, it had free shipping! Maybe you can look further on the site and find it cheaper. They also have the bigger one for like 5 more dollars.

Mine came in 2 weeks with the wood box.

I personally find it the perfect size. If you cut your bars approximately 1 inch thick you get 9 to 10 bars weighting 4 oz each. The mold hold exactly 38 oz batches. If you are making cp that has a long top, then maybe 40 to 41 oz.

The bigger one would get you bars that are 4.5 to 5 oz each. I have one of those too, but I never use it.

I too have a small kitchen and only one cabinet dedicated to soaping. But I have molds hidden everywhere .... in the coat closet, in my closet .....

Old 09-13-2017, 12:21 PM   #14
soapmaker
Soapmaker

Liked 36 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRiseArts View Post
Here is the link. When I bought it, it had free shipping! Maybe you can look further on the site and find it cheaper. They also have the bigger one for like 5 more dollars.

Mine came in 2 weeks with the wood box.

I personally find it the perfect size. If you cut your bars approximately 1 inch thick you get 9 to 10 bars weighting 4 oz each. The mold hold exactly 38 oz batches. If you are making cp that has a long top, then maybe 40 to 41 oz.

The bigger one would get you bars that are 4.5 to 5 oz each. I have one of those too, but I never use it.

I too have a small kitchen and only one cabinet dedicated to soaping. But I have molds hidden everywhere .... in the coat closet, in my closet .....
Where is the link? At least I can't see it.

My kitchen is small but with loads of cupboards so I have great storage, but not for molds. It's soap that I have stored all over the house. And as far as e.o.s and f.o.s, they're all stored in the coat closet, that way it smells really nice.

One of the things I like about my HDPE molds is that in a 14 inch log mold, I get exactly 14 one inch bars with shiny surfaces and square corners

Old 09-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #15
soapmaker
Soapmaker

Liked 36 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Sorry I found the link.