Printers and color ink costs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm taking a college Anatomy class.

Prof posts lecture slides before class and my theory is that is I print them out to use for note taking during class, it will save me time and sanity.

However, 80 - 100 color pages a week will eat up a lot of ink and be very costly. Printing at Staples is 42 cents a sheet - roughly 17 dollars per lecture, 2 lectures a week.

Do you know of a very cost effective home printer that can do better?

Last edited:
We've got a Brother printer/scanner/fax combo, and I use it to print color fairly often, though there are times when it sits for a month or so unused. Usually have to run a couple of test pages and cleaning cycles to get it printing smoothly again. So far, seem to be getting about three hundred sheets per cartridge set, using generic ink (this is the ink we've got- E-Z Ink (TM) Compatible Ink Cartridge Replacement for Brother LC-103XL LC103XL LC103 XL High Yield (4 Black, 2 Cyan, 2 Magenta, 2 Yellow) 10 Pack LC103BK LC103C LC103M LC103Y for DCP-J152W MFC-J245). Ink runs about $15 per 10-pack. We've had this printer for two or three years now, and haven't had any problems from it. It even does two sided printing, to help save on paper. Print quality is near-photo on plain paper, provided your image is that good to start with. The printer cost around $150, and we bought an extended warranty with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
We use an Epson Workforce (under $100 new) that uses T-126 or 127 cartridges. The generic brand refilled cartridges from the ebay are the same as Kittish pays- (between $1 and $1.50 each depending on how many you order)- we can print around 500 dense typed pages of 90% black (100 pages for 30¢) with the 127, and 300 with the 126 size. We use about 10% color so those ones are lasting forever.
I think it's important to make sure that whatever the printer you choose, it has separate black and individual color cartridges, and that inexpensive cartridges are available.

One option would be to bring a laptop or tablet to class and take notes that way.

If you download the files before hand anyway you should be able to save them and type in the "note" of a PowerPoint. For a tablet there are programs that let you doodle on an existing "picture."

Other options would be to check what amenities the school offers. My college offered free black and white printing in the library or you could go to the print shop and get 400 pages bound for $5. If there's a student discount you could get somewhere, I'd definitely look into that.

Haven't looked into printers in a while but laser jet are more cost effective long run than ink jet. i don't think it's too hard to find a 1000 page laser jet cartridge while ink cartridges tend run maybe 300 pages if we use our current printer regularly (it was free with computer purchase last time we needed one)

Oooh these are all good ideas.

One issue with bringing a laptop to class is that I have to also carry 2 notebooks, large heavy textbook, lab manual, another picture manual, water bottle, food (5+ hr class) and a partridge in a pear tree. The campus is under a lot of construction and I may have a considerable distance to walk, not to mention flights of stairs.

I can type 60 words a minute without looking at the keyboard, so this idea really intrigues me....if I can make it work.

No one else in class uses a computer to take notes. Why is that? My boys never used computers for lecture notes either, but then they were engineering or architecture majors - lots of math and symbols to type.

I wish I could add advice but because of my learning disabilities, I have to either listen carefully to the professor or record the lecture, if allowed. I cannot take notes or even type while listening to someone or I will miss what is being said altogether. It doesn't help that I can't write for more than 5 minutes a day.

One issue with bringing a laptop to class is that I have to also carry 2 notebooks, large heavy textbook, lab manual, another picture manual, water bottle, food (5+ hr class) and a partridge in a pear tree. The campus is under a lot of construction and I may have a considerable distance to walk, not to mention flights of stairs.

I can type 60 words a minute without looking at the keyboard, so this idea really intrigues me....if I can make it work.

No one else in class uses a computer to take notes. Why is that? My boys never used computers for lecture notes either, but then they were engineering or architecture majors - lots of math and symbols to type.

Very few people can type as quickly as you can. Even thought they were brought up on computers very few learn to actually type!

You will have to find a system or combination of systems from the great ideas above. The thing is the solution has to suit you. You'r style for note taking. Also consider if all the pages need to be in colour. Very best of luck.

Is a digital format version of your textbook available? How about the lab or picture manual? If so, you may be able to lighten your load considerably with a laptop.

I just got another Canon pIxma MX922, the ink cost me for a year supply 40 Cad, the printer is expensive but worth it, Generic ink is very good. I print a lot, aaaaaa lot labels on weatherproof paper and it takes a lot of ink, is the highest quality print. The previous Canon lasted 12 years without fault :)

I thank you all for your ideas and I considered/measured every one of them.

I decided that having a reliable printer at my beck and call was the best way to go. After all, it won't be just the professor's PP I'll print - they'll be online study tools and quizzes that will be very helpful.

My printers have always cheapos and with 50 - 70 bucks spent one refill of ink! This last refill never had a chance to get used because the printer heads seem to be whacked. We don't print much; but also....part of that is because we don't have a decent printer. The fact our little one is starting 5th grade and the curriculum format starts preparing them for middle school makes this printer even more beneficial.

Plus, I can know learn how to print nice soap labels! Right?

A big thanks to those who recommended their printers; I researched them all and decided on lsg's Canon Mega Tank. It was also 50 bucks off at Staples. Even if the thing dies at the end of the semester, it will have saved me at least $200 for the semester. (And physiology is next semester...)

Have you considered a laser printer? Toner is cheap and you dont have to worry about you ink drying up. The initial printer is a little more expensive but in the long run it is worth it especially if you go long periods in between printing things. I have 3 laser printers currently. I have a xerox mono and a xerox colour multifunction and have recently purchased a brother mono printer to replace the xerox one as its getting to be at the end of its lifespan. Toner costs me about 7-10$ and each toner cartridge lasts for about 2 months. I print anywhere between 15-25 pages a day on the mono one and I've had the colour one for about 2 years and use it about 2-3 times a week and am still on the original toner cartridges.

Briefly, I looked into laser printers but because I needed one immediately, I chose to look into the ink tank type of printers. lsg recommended one that was $50 off and a 5 minutes drive from my house. I skimmed several reviews and just went for it. I'm very satisfied with my choice. Already printed over 200 pages and only made a tiny dent in the ink levels. This printer will pay for itself in 2 months and the instant convenience of printing extra study materials at home is priceless.

The pics aren't bright or vivid, but clear and detailed enough to study the tiny details in anatomy.

But the very best part? Pouring the ink. Yes, gleefully pouring the ink into the reservoirs! Ink you could see and measure in multiple ounces; no more wondering and guessing how much ink is left!

The worst part? I now have a reliable printer that I could use to print soap labels but have absolutely no spare minutes to do that. I'm desperately trying to pass this Anatomy class.

Back