~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ August 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > After all these years EMERGENCY, need HELP!!

Old 08-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #11
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4724 Times on 2767 Posts
Likes Given: 1076

I vote for severe overheating. I definitely would not cpop it and would go with a 33% LC to cut water/ liquid. More water can equal more heat

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area

Old 08-16-2017, 04:03 AM   #12
Atihcnoc

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hi, well last night I make the new batch with new lye and one with the beige coconut and another one with super white(new) extra virgin coconut oil and new lye. I CPOP both to follow the same process and see if the new batch can give me more answers.....Ok here we go......

Definitely the lye was responsible, In the batch with the new lye - beige coconut & F.O. the mix reacted almost immediately with a strong trace, like gelatin (very strange), and thicker when I added the fragrance. The top grew but not that much, actually a very nice effect, like foam.

The second batch with the new lye and new extra virgin coconut oil (the brand I always use) reacts beautifully, very thin trace, very nice and very white, also a very nice effect on the top like foam, but very light not as thick as the original one.

Another thing I found was that the first soap (the one with problems) had a lot of free oil, this tells me that the lye did not saponify completely, I tested with my tonge and it is not lye it is oil, for sure more than 20% of S.F.

I clean the soap with water, check again 30 minutes later and the soap was dripping oil.

Photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/150777...h/36462222061/

Thank you for all your help!!

Conchita

Old 08-16-2017, 10:51 AM   #13
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4512 Times on 3015 Posts
Likes Given: 3719

I think they just overheated a whole lot. The coconut coast I know get's pretty hot in a regular batch. But since one was just CO just plain overheating especially if you put it in the oven at 170. 100% CO soap gels hot all on it's own.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:16 PM   #14
Atihcnoc

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunt2011 View Post
I think they just overheated a whole lot. The coconut coast I know get's pretty hot in a regular batch. But since one was just CO just plain overheating especially if you put it in the oven at 170. 100% CO soap gels hot all on it's own.
All the recipes and new tests was just plain CO.

The Coconut Coast you know it is from the same company NG? from my experience some fragrances or essence oils behave different and in most cases depends of the company. The ones I normally use are from Bramble-Berry and from Lebermuth and never in all these years have any problem with my batchs, I wanted to try new scents and NG have a good ones, but I'm still learning about the behave of the F.O from this company.

The soap with problems did no gelled completely it was dark in the outsides (gelled) and in the center have a big portion of lighter soap, that is telling me it did not gelled 100%.

The new test, with exactly the same recipe as the original one and new lye, same temp. f.o. etc. it was at the end the same color inside & outside (gelled), but without the excess of oil like the one with problems, this one is clean and beautiful.

The differences tells me the lye was the cause, if was the overheating, the new test had to be exactly as the first one, in this case it was not like that. But just to be 100% sure I will make the same recipe with the old lye without oven processing, just to be sure.

Thank you for your help, I really learned a lot with this experience, the first one for me, I hope this will help somebody in the same situation.

Again thank you for your help.

Conchita.

Last edited by Atihcnoc; 08-16-2017 at 03:40 PM.
shunt2011 Likes This 
Old 08-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #15
Kittish
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 715 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 364

So glad to hear that you got your troubles worked out!