Storing soap in humid bathroom

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamagirl

Reaction score
I live in the south (Alabama) and it is VERY humid here. Add to that fact that we do not have central cooling and you can see my dilemma. I can store my soap in the bathroom during the winter without any problems, but last year once summer came, I had soap start to develop doss. I am pretty sure it has to be a combination of the humidity and heat here because I had a bar of the same batch, but it was wrapped and not in the bathroom that is fine to this day. Right now, I am storing the soap in ziploc bags in the bathroom (I guess I could store them in another room, but come on who really remembers they were almost out of soap last time they showered?). I haven't been keeping them this way long enough to know if this is going to work, not to mention the really bad part of summer isn't even here yet. I have a couple ideas, one is the bags from dollar tree and making sure they are tied tight. The other was shrink wrap (I like this idea better, but can you shrink wrap without special equipment?). Does anyone else have any ideas?

Soap definitely needs to breath and shouldn't be put in ziploc bags during the first 4-6 week curing period. To prevent DOS, you may want to adjust your recipe or add preservatives (ROE, vitamin E, BHT, etc.).

One solution (off the top of my head) would be to store your soap in large tupperwares and add a desiccant like silica or this type of product: http://a.co/1whMJUE (It's calcium chloride)

If you can dedicate a room or a closet to storing soap, you can keep the door closed and have a dehumidifier running in it.

Once they are fully cured, then shrink wrap is a good option.

Soap definitely needs to breath and shouldn't be put in ziploc bags during the first 4-6 week curing period. To prevent DOS, you may want to adjust your recipe or add preservatives (ROE, vitamin E, BHT, etc.).

One solution (off the top of my head) would be to store your soap in large tupperwares and add a desiccant like silica or this type of product: http://a.co/1whMJUE (It's calcium chloride)

If you can dedicate a room or a closet to storing soap, you can keep the door closed and have a dehumidifier running in it.

Once they are fully cured, then shrink wrap is a good option.

Sorry, I should have mentioned I only put them in the ziploc bags after they are cured.

Back