~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ August 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Business Forum > General Business Forum > Starting a Soap Business in Canada

Old 11-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #21
scottief

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts

Thats what I figured. On another topic for Canadians.

I just went to try to get the Cosmetic Notification Form and it won't let me get it. Ive tried on 3 computers and all are updated to the latest adobe. Anyone else having problems?

Old 11-21-2014, 01:52 AM   #22
Lindy
Soap Diva Queen
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1557 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

Hey Scottie - the CNF prefers Explorer to work properly. I've never had problems getting in.

As for tax, I started charging it from the start. The forms to do you GST / PST are really, really easy to do. I opted for quarterly so it wasn't too big an amount of money.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #23
scottief

This is odd. Ive tried 3 different browsers and 3 different computer and I keep getting this message. Im defiantly up to date on adobe.
Please wait...

If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF
viewer may not be able to display this type of document.

You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader for Windows®, Mac, or Linux® by
visiting http://www.adobe.com/go/reader_download.

For more assistance with Adobe Reader visit http://www.adobe.com/go/acrreader.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:10 PM   #24
Lindy
Soap Diva Queen

That is bizarre. Do you have your cookies on?

Old 11-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #25
scottief

I got it to work on my pc. Guess it doesn't like Macs. Now I have to figure out how to fill it out. I'm going though the instructions. If I fill any part out wrong and send it in, what happens? Can I still sell it.

I now have to learn about this government part and what I need to do. I think I'm going to going the Canadian Guild and get insurance though them. Seems to be much cheaper.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:53 PM   #26
Stacy
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 272 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 284

Jumping on the tax topic, is there something about not charging taxes on wholesale? Or was that just something I read that was specific to the states?

I've been lucky enough to stumble into an opportunity to sell some body products in a local spa so I've been going nuts getting that all ready. I'm not worried about making 30k this year, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot if I have to raise prices 15% down the road.

Lindy, I think I owe you a beer for all the guidance you've posted over the years

Old 11-25-2014, 03:59 AM   #27
Lindy
Soap Diva Queen

Scottie - once you've done it a few times it will get easy. If you make a mistake they (Health Canada) will send you an email. You can start selling the product right away as they are not approving your product you are simply listing it with them.

Stacy with wholesale if you have a GST number then you would only charge that. If you are in a province that has HST then you need to check with your province to see if you charge it. I know when we had it (BC) I was exempt from HST when I was buying product.

Stacy Likes This