My quest for coconut:

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too am so grateful for this thread. I think the only coconut I have tried so far is exotic coconut from WSP and I had to blend in a little fresh cut grass and vanilla to round it out. It just wasn't perfect. So excited for all the results!

View attachment 13216

Ok folks (the ones still keeping up with this thread haha) I'm more satisfied with this bunch than the last!
The Coconut Caribe smells great! And the oil slick that was on the SoapSupplies.net Carribbean coconut has soaked in nicely and that one smells amazing too! The Peak Coconut milk is going to be a great mixer to add to a badly behaving coconut. The Crafters Choice coconut milk is a greasy, weeping mess and doesn't smell good enough at this point for me to want to deal with it. I'll post another picture in a couple of weeks and my opinion of each scent.

I'd like to send out samples of all of these in exchange for a good description of each within this thread, so I'll be PM-ing some of you that seemed interested (if that's ok) it's nice to have others opinions! :)

TViv, of this latest batch, which one smells the most like fresh (chopped) coconut so far, if any? I'm starting to see a few categories of coconut: the suntan lotion-smelling coconuts, the pineapple coconuts, and the raw coconuts. I'm definitely interested in the last one.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

TViv, of this latest batch, which one smells the most like fresh (chopped) coconut so far, if any? I'm starting to see a few categories of coconut: the suntan lotion-smelling coconuts, the pineapple coconuts, and the raw coconuts. I'm definitely interested in the last one.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

If I'm being honest.. None of them smell like real coconut. And by "real" I mean the way pure, unrefined coconut oil smells. Right now the coconut Caribe from soapalooza, and the Carribbean coconut from soap supplies.net smell the best, but 1, they haven't finished curing and 2, they both have that familiar suntan oil scent we recognize as coconut(which I'm ok with) . I'm starting to wonder if I'm barking up the wrong tree by trying to find a "coconut" scent that smells like coconut, instead of perhaps looking for a nut scent that ends up coconut-ish after curing.

Love this thread!

Btw, don't send your daughter to Mile High Soaps for their coconut FO next time she is coming from Denver. Not only does it turn nasty in CP, it misbehaves in bath bombs... Not sure what's in it other than it shouldn't be bought. Ever. Save yourself. :)

Love this thread!

Btw, don't send your daughter to Mile High Soaps for their coconut FO next time she is coming from Denver. Not only does it turn nasty in CP, it misbehaves in bath bombs... Not sure what's in it other than it shouldn't be bought. Ever. Save yourself. :)

Thanks, Snappyllama, but you're about 6 months too late, lol! I got the Coconut Surf from Mile High and it's HORRIBLE! You're right about it being nasty in CP. I can't even describe the awful stench it became. I kept hoping it would become something better after cure but it only got worse. Luckily I only made a 1 lb test loaf because the whole thing went into the trash. :twisted:

TVivian,
Thanks so much for sharing the results of your soaping coconut FO's. I appreciate you taking the time to do this and sharing the results along with the pictures. Fascinating to see how much they discolor!
If you're thinking of doing yet another batch, I can recommend Sweetcakes' coconut. Here's the link and description: http://www.sweetcakes.com/default.php?cPath=4&sort=1a&&page=3
A tropical treat -- coconut underscored with tart, juicy pineapple.
NOTE: Will not discolor cold-process or melt-and-pour soap, as so very many coconut fragrances do.
Flashpoint: 154º F.
It's wonderfully realistic, too!
Happy Soaping! :)

Alrighty, it's been 4 weeks since the last test batch and my results are in!

Before I announce my Favorites, can I say again that Coconut is not an easy scent! Most of them were heaters, many discolored, and nearly all lost scent after cutting, which came back with curing. So be patient and give it some time when you're dealing with Coconut!

Overall winner:

Carribbean Coconut (SS.net)
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1429394773.342774.jpg
This one wins by a landslide for me. It has the least amount of fake to it, it's sweet, creamy, it's amazing in lotion with no chemical after scent and it was one that discolored less. I highly recommend this scent for those looking for Coconut. Be warned it did heat up a lot!

Runner up:
Carribbean Coconut (WSP)
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1429394960.052438.jpg
I like this one too! The coconut scent is a bit more subtle, but it cures out sweet and strong and would be amazing mixed with Citrus! Discolors to light Tan and behaves well with no overheating.

Best Sexy coconut:
Coconut Craze (NG)
Exotic Coconut (WSP) crafters choice
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1429395209.144517.jpg

If you're looking for a sexy, sultry Coconut. .. These two are great. They are not your typical coconut, but smell exotic and high end. Both discolored to brown, but behaved ok otherwise.

Best sweet, bakery type Coconut:

Coconut Cream Pie (NG)
Coconut Caribe (soapalooza)
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1429395642.196713.jpg

These are very sweet and yummy.. With lots of Vanilla. They both cured out very nicely!

Honorable mention:

Coconut Cabana (NG)
Although this one does not smell much like coconut, it cured out nice and strong and has a fruity (banana) essence to it. It discolored the least of all.

The worst:

Creamy Coconut (NG)
This was my early favorite, but it cured to nothing but a weird, terribly fake smokey-sweetish smelling yuk!

Island Coconut (BB)
It almost smells like nothing. I wondered if I didn't put enough scent it and had to check.. I obviously did since the soap is dark tan. It's a waste of money after comparing the rest.

Aruba Coconut (Peak)
It smells horribly chemical to my nose and not at all like coconut.

I also want to thank GrumpyOwl for sending me some of her coconut samples:

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1429396283.236593.jpg

In the darker brown bar, she used a mix of Creamy Coconut from Oregon Trails at 70% and BB's coconut citrus sorbet at 30% and it is outstanding... A really nice coconut scent with a tiny bit of tartness!

In the coconut flake bar, she used Coconut Citrus Sorbet in a 75% and Oregon Trails Tonka Bean & Soft Sugar at 25% mixed
It's also wonderful!

So there it is. I'm officially retiring from coconut scent testing. I have found two I'm very happy with and will use in my soaps from now on! Thank you for the suggestions! This has been fun :)

Thank you! I've ordered a couple things from SS>net and included that to give it a go. :)

So you didn;t describe any like this but maybe you used different words - which one is the "beach and suntan oil" smell? The good one not cheap suntan lotion. :p

Thank you! I've ordered a couple things from SS>net and included that to give it a go. :)

So you didn;t describe any like this but maybe you used different words - which one is the "beach and suntan oil" smell? The good one not cheap suntan lotion. :p

I'll say that the two I liked best both have a bit of the suntan oil scent. I don't mind that because I really think that's what most of us recognize as "coconut" but then they also smell like shredded and toasted coconut, or like a coconut cake or pastry. The SS.net scent is especially well rounded that way, and the scent is different each time you smell it. I guess the main thing I wanted was for it to be recognizable as coconut to my customers, also sweet, not burnt or plastic scented and not too dark in color.

Gotcha. Well I have a couple of the top contenders on the way to try out. I can't miss out on all the fun!

I would love to test another scent, I'd be happy to run the experiment too.

Another hard one? Vanilla?

Best Dragon's Blood?

Maybe we could vote.

That would be awesome! I vote vanilla. That seems to be another one that people frequently ask about and can't seem to find a great one.

Back