has anyone found a non accelerating gardenia?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green soap

Reaction score
I just made salt soaps with a sample I bought from CS and half of them will go into my 'ugly soap sale basket'.

Has anyone found a non accelerating Gardenia? Or a least a lower acceleration would be nice.

It is a little early to tell, but at least it does not seem to discolor.

I have used the one from Brambleberry and I found it to be manageable and potent too! I used .5 PPO and a 33% lye solution.

I just used Bramble Berrys Gardenia too. It does accelerate. No ricing though. After three weeks no discolorization. Mix your colors first. I wasn't soaping cool either and that could have contributed to acceleration.

Something else to try when you're working with a nasty mover is to use full water to give you a little more time, plus soap very cool...

Thanks for the suggestions. I use more water and lower temperatures with my clove, cinnamon leaf and cassia essential oils, since I know these accelerate. I did not know about the gardenia doing this! I just ordered the Gardenia from brambleberry since I also needed several essential oils they carry.

I will soap it and pretend like it is cinnamon leaf EO...LOL.

It seems that many floral EO do accelerate don't they? I have a rose FO that seems to do the opposite though. Interesting. It makes you wonder what is in those things.

You might also try using Bath and Body's Gardenia. I have been using their fragrances since 2004 and have not had a problem with them. You might want to test it in a 1 lb batch and soap at 98 and 110 degrees. I have just started going lower with my temps and my soaps have been coming out wonderfully.

I use Peak's Gardenia and it is very workable as long as you're prepared. I soaped very cool (lye at room temp, and oils at 80 deg). There is still A, but it was very manageable. .7oz ppo and hand wisk only also.

Latest posts

Back