has anyone found a non accelerating gardenia?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green soap

Reaction score
I just made salt soaps with a sample I bought from CS and half of them will go into my 'ugly soap sale basket'.

Has anyone found a non accelerating Gardenia? Or a least a lower acceleration would be nice.

It is a little early to tell, but at least it does not seem to discolor.

I have used the one from Brambleberry and I found it to be manageable and potent too! I used .5 PPO and a 33% lye solution.

I just used Bramble Berrys Gardenia too. It does accelerate. No ricing though. After three weeks no discolorization. Mix your colors first. I wasn't soaping cool either and that could have contributed to acceleration.

Something else to try when you're working with a nasty mover is to use full water to give you a little more time, plus soap very cool...

Thanks for the suggestions. I use more water and lower temperatures with my clove, cinnamon leaf and cassia essential oils, since I know these accelerate. I did not know about the gardenia doing this! I just ordered the Gardenia from brambleberry since I also needed several essential oils they carry.

I will soap it and pretend like it is cinnamon leaf EO...LOL.

It seems that many floral EO do accelerate don't they? I have a rose FO that seems to do the opposite though. Interesting. It makes you wonder what is in those things.

You might also try using Bath and Body's Gardenia. I have been using their fragrances since 2004 and have not had a problem with them. You might want to test it in a 1 lb batch and soap at 98 and 110 degrees. I have just started going lower with my temps and my soaps have been coming out wonderfully.

I use Peak's Gardenia and it is very workable as long as you're prepared. I soaped very cool (lye at room temp, and oils at 80 deg). There is still A, but it was very manageable. .7oz ppo and hand wisk only also.

Back