Distilled Water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a difference though. There can be metal elements and other impurities in the water that may cause your soap to get DOS or go rancid if made with regular water.

I too use distilled water.

I forgot one time to pick up a gallon of water and used our well water instead. I did use it out of the fridge which has a filter. I mean, my thinking was "If it's clean enough for me to drink, why wouldn't it be clean enough for me to soap with?" I will say that I have been soaping for a little over a year and have made 10-20 batches of soap. In that time I have had one or two batches develop some dos. At first, I thought it was the change in olive oil brand, but then realized it wasn't because other batches didn't develop dos. Sadly, I didn't jot down which batches used well water, but I am pretty sure it was the two that developed the dos. So, I absolutely agree with you shunt, I am almost certain there has to be some impurity in our water that caused it. Something that isn't hurtful to us, but doesn't play well with soap making!

Latest posts

Back