FO Hunt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyQueenBee

Reaction score
I'm looking for three scents for my CP, and want to get opinions here, before I purchase some more randomly, out of frustration. :)

I'd like to find an apple cinnamon for my holiday line that doesn't smell like cinnamon overdose (the two I've tried so far remind me of those cinnamon pine cones at the holidays and give me horrible migraines)...I've considered applejack peel as a base and then adding ground cinnamon to scent, but if anyone knows of an FO that's yummy, I'd appreciate the tip!
Next, Banana Bread. I've tried several, and my soap never fails to smell like banana chemical soup, even after a long cure. Ick! Lol. I'd like to get one that's at least 85% true to scent, so I can gift some yummy soaps to the banana bread lovers in my family this year.
The last one is baby powder. Like JJ type. I've had zero luck finding one that doesn't smell sickeningly floral or like I've dumped a bottle of Loves Baby Soft into my soap.

baby magic by save on scents is pretty close to baby powder me thinks.

I like Baby Powder from BB.

I don't use *extra* cinnamon in body products, besides what's already in a FO. Cinnamon, clove, and eucalyptus can be very irritating to skin, eyes, mucous membranes, and sensitive places. I save those for candles and room fragrances.

I've yet to smell a banana FO in any formulation that smells like real bananas, and NOT banana candy. At least to my picky nose. However, I like the idea of banana bread! If you find a good one, be sure to let us know!

~HoneyLady~

You guys are awesome, thank you. And thank you for the sweet offer, Obsidian!

I've had the BB powder fo in my cart off and on for awhile now, so I'll try it after I check the one from NG.
As for cinnamon in my products, I don't use much, and never additional to what's in an FO or personal blend, either. I'm not going to risk irritating someone's skin, just to get a yummy smell. I was thinking (if I need to blend an original scent) of an apple FO with maybe 1Tb of ground cinnamon in a 3-5 pound batch, just enough to smell but not enough to be problematic for anyone.

Just wanted to add that Spiced Cranberry from NG can only be used in soap at a VERY low percentage (0.1%) of the final product. I made the mistake of ordering it for CP and then realized the low usage rate. You can use it, but I'm not sure it would be worth it at such a small amount.

I recently used a blend of Cranberry Apple Marmalade and MacIntosh Apple from Peak's to make a fall apple scent. It smells fantastic. Both are listed as skin safe, but they don't list the percentage that's skin safe like NG. Does that mean I could be using too much? Maybe. I wish all the companies listed a safe percentage.

Back