My Version of Pear's Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, let me give credit for the inspiration to the latest tutorial on M&P soap using only glycerin as a solvent and to the thread concerning pine rosin. I probably wouldn't have thought to try this recipe otherwise. When looking up the old ingredients for Pear's soap I found listed only 8 ingredients, water, saponified palm and coconut oils, glycerin, pine rosin, rosemary and thyme oils and pear essence fragrance. I didn't have thyme EO so I used cedarwood and lemon along with the rosemary EO. I also used Fresh Pear FO from Candlepro.com. This is a hot process recipe. The pine rosin is a bear to melt as it is gummy and sticky when heated. I suggest you melt it and the stearic acid along with Castor oil in the microwave. Add these melted ingredients at thin trace and stick blend. The mixture will seize, but don't worry, I just put the lid on my little crockpot and continued heating until the mixture loosened up and used the stick blender again to fully emulsify all of the ingredients.

Here is the ingredient list:

144 grams Castor Oil
144 grams coconut Oil
144 grams palm Oil
Few drops Vit. E.
18 grams stearic Acid
49 grams powdered pine rosin
72 grams sodium hydroxide
190 grams distilled water

Melt the solid oils, (I used a small crockpot insert and melted the solid oils in the microwave.) Melt stearic acid and pine rosin together with Castor oil in a microwave safe container. Add lye water to palm and coconut oils and blend to thin trace. Add stearic acid, pine rosin and Castor oil mixture and blend. As I said, the mixture will get very thick quickly. Put the lid on the crockpot and heat until mixture loosens up and looks like it is separating. Hit it again with the stick blender until it looks like a thick trace. Cook,
stirring every now and then, until mixture reaches Vaseline stage. Do a zap test. If there is no zap, add glycerin to the mixture and stir. Heat until all the paste is melted into the glycerin. Take off heat and add the FO and EO blend. Stir well and pour into mold. I used Bramble Berry's 12 bar mold.

After the cook add:
499 grams glycerin
3.4 grams cedarwood EO
3.4 grams lemon EO
3.4 grams rosemary EO
4 grams Fresh Pear FO

Hope this makes sense. If you have any questions just ask and I will try to help.

thank you for this.. too bad i dont have the rosin. wonder how to go around it, hmmm..

First, let me give credit for the inspiration to the latest tutorial on M&P soap using only glycerin as a solvent and to the thread concerning pine rosin. I probably wouldn't have thought to try this recipe otherwise. When looking up the old ingredients for Pear's soap I found listed only 8 ingredients, water, saponified palm and coconut oils, glycerin, pine rosin, rosemary and thyme oils and pear essence fragrance. I didn't have thyme EO so I used cedarwood and lemon along with the rosemary EO. I also used Fresh Pear FO from Candlepro.com. This is a hot process recipe. The pine rosin is a bear to melt as it is gummy and sticky when heated. I suggest you melt it and the stearic acid along with Castor oil in the microwave. Add these melted ingredients at thin trace and stick blend. The mixture will seize, but don't worry, I just put the lid on my little crockpot and continued heating until the mixture loosened up and used the stick blender again to fully emulsify all of the ingredients.

Here is the ingredient list:

144 grams Castor Oil
144 grams coconut Oil
144 grams palm Oil
Few drops Vit. E.
18 grams stearic Acid
49 grams powdered pine rosin
72 grams sodium hydroxide
190 grams distilled water

Melt the solid oils, (I used a small crockpot insert and melted the solid oils in the microwave.) Melt stearic acid and pine rosin together with Castor oil in a microwave safe container. Add lye water to palm and coconut oils and blend to thin trace. Add stearic acid, pine rosin and Castor oil mixture and blend. As I said, the mixture will get very thick quickly. Put the lid on the crockpot and heat until mixture loosens up and looks like it is separating. Hit it again with the stick blender until it looks like a thick trace. Cook,
stirring every now and then, until mixture reaches Vaseline stage. Do a zap test. If there is no zap, add glycerin to the mixture and stir. Heat until all the paste is melted into the glycerin. Take off heat and add the FO and EO blend. Stir well and pour into mold. I used Bramble Berry's 12 bar mold.

After the cook add:
499 grams glycerin
3.4 grams cedarwood EO
3.4 grams lemon EO
3.4 grams rosemary EO
4 grams Fresh Pear FO

Hope this makes sense. If you have any questions just ask and I will try to help.

That looks really great! When did you make it? I will be really interested to hear how it turns out. Does it need to cure? I make transparent soap and it isn't necessary to cure it but it definitely improves with age.

I made it Saturday. No, it doesn't need to cure before use, although it may loose excess water with a good cure.

Thank you for posting the recipe! It sounds like a wonderful soap. It looks a little ambitious for my third batch of soap plus I don't have a lot of the ingredients or a crockpot dedicated for soap making.

I think until I have more experience I will stick to recipes with fewer ingredients and less steps. I did bookmark this post for the future when I'm more comfortable with the process (and get a crockpot).

Thanks again for sharing, it is very generous of you!

Thank you for sharing the recipe. I just wanted to check the quantity of glycerin (499 grams glycerin). It seems a lot. Is this correct?

I am wondering if this will sweat in a warm and humid environment with the high glycerine content.

Allane

It might if not wrapped in cellophane or plastic wrap. You can also buy those little silica bags to pack in with the soap to absorb moisture.

Thank you so much for sharing! I want to try this although I never used Pear's soap. I don't do FOs so I may use lemongrass and add something to soften/fruitiate it (in addition to the other EOs)

Back